rollforming

Is there anybody tell me about the roll forming?

Reply to
Inho Sung

In reference to grinding wheels?

Harold and Susan Vordos

Nah, I think he wants the cooking/baking forum. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Harold,

My experience concerning roll forming has been making tubes out of sheet. What does it refer to in the grinding world?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Crush roll forming is a method of shaping (dressing) a grinding wheel. The desired (circular) form is slowly driven and pressed against the wheel of the machine. The form drives the grinding wheel and slowly crushes the wheel until the profile has been generated in the grinding wheel. It's not something I've experienced, but I'm aware of its existence. Difficult forms can be so dressed into wheels when other methods are not available. Can't help but think that in today's world, it would be done differently, but it was, apparently, commonly done before CNC.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Harold,

Interesting info.

I looked it up a bit, and came up with this:

It looks like the same idea with diamond instead of HSS or carbide (which, I read, were the common materials for crush roll form dressing).

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

differently,

Shocking revalation! Thanks for the link, which I found interesting. I figured things had changed, but could't imagine to such a degree.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Hmmm. That looks like the kind of tooling I saw at a twin screw extruder manufacturer. They used cnc grinding to generate the screw element profiles, and had automatic cnc dressing of the wheels to keep them in spec. That was a cool visit. I got to see the sintered metal hydrostatic pressing operation, although that was under license from my company, so I can't describe it. Bummer.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in news:4344a5fd$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

Harold,

It's still being used on CNC grinders. CNC dressing has probably cut down on the number of machines equipped with crush roll dressers, but recently I was involved with a project where they will be used on a CNC cylindrical grinder.

The term "roll form" can have a lot of different meanings in metal working. Off the top of my head here are a few examples: roll form tapping, thread rolling, roll forming as in splines and knurls, tube forming, roll forming bars as in hex and square stock, and roll form marking.

Reply to
D Murphy

Thanks, Dan. I figured by now it would be obsolete. Just goes to show some things die hard. It must be a pretty good system. Wish I'd have had the opportunity to explore it in my grinding days, but we had no need.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos