Router Bits

Has anyone used carbide tipped router bits for machining? A while ago I used a 45 degree HS bit for putting a chamfer on an aluminum block, it did ok. I happened to come into possesion of a whole set of these things and I usually only work with wood out of necessity. Thanks for your time.

Sonny

" oh filly me bony belly"

Reply to
best wire

As long as you have sufficient shank diameter for strength, and you use them for non-ferrous machining, but including cast iron, they should serve you well enough. The only real problem would be, perhaps, too much relief, shortening their useful life. The grade of carbide generally doesn't lend itself well to machining steels. Stainless can be an exception.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Yes. But only for aluminium. And in the router. Works great and even better if you apply some cutting oil along the path.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

useless test post.

My 'puter died. I'm setting up again from scratch.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:08:31 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

Useless reply post:

I called and scheduled QWEST DSL for myself last night. And I called and effectively (sometimes hard with the phone support folks today) scheduled a Starband cancellation today.

I'll nuke DISH next week once I get the rest of my ducks in order. The lady at DISH today was a real winner. I had to ask 3 different ways to get the subscription/expiration/service date from her. I want to get my XM radio up and running before then.

Reply to
Larry Jaques