Rusty fuel tank

Yes, do it all th' time. After rebuilding motors I run them to ensure all's well before bolting them in their frames. Pull th' crappy tank and use a spare gas can hung high enough for gravity feed. You can then fix/replace th' crappy tank at your convenience.

Might not be pretty, but it works and th' boss will be happy .

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

The boss is splitting wood this a.m.

Fortunately, all the rust in the tank was of the exfoliate variety, with no pits deep enough to penetrate the steel.

A six-hour soak in phosphoric acid cleaned most of it to bare metal, and the remaining tight rust converted and stuck well enough that a secondary pebble-shake didn't dislodge more than about a half-gram of it.

A dribble of oil in the first tankful of gas will, I hope, "condition" the surface against further rust. I'll be a good boy and empty the system after this cycle of use is done.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh