sandblasting stainless: a no-no?

In my opinion it isn't worth the effort of recycling the silica sand. Take care not to breath the dust from it for sure. I have found that a fairly high pressure sand blaster pulverizes most of the sand grains and leaves the grains with no weight or cutting edge. And the stuff is cheap. I just go out into the yard or gravel driveway well away from anything with paint or glass and let the sand fall where it may. I try to stand upwind while doing this.

I know of some stainless steel planters the government ordered with a matt finish - sandblasted. The manufacturer must have been recycling sand and had steel particles contaminating it. After these sat out in the weather for a little while all the mild steel that had gotten embedded in the stainless rusted. Looked terrible.

Reply to
Wally

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:32:54 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Glenn" quickly quoth:

The company was banished to Ohio the last I heard. ;)

========================================================== Save the |||

Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner:

I used a small brass-wire brush spring-mounted with a piece of steel strapping so that its axis is at an angle to the wheel.

Does a fantastic job of keeping chips and rust off the lower bandsaw wheel.

You can get brass-wire brushes in shoe stores....used to brush suede shoes. Or try Home Depot or "other fine junk stores".

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

Yeah, but wirebrushing your forehead HURTS!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Question (may be a typo on the web site, or not):-

On the knotwheel page, why do the 8" brushes have a lower max rpm than the 10" brushes?

I'd be happy to order just because you're such a helpful chap here on the group, but I suspect that shipping to the UK would make it somewhat uncompetitive :-( Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On my wood bandsaw I've got an originally fitted brass brush mounted that, theoretically, sweeps the bottom wheel clean. I think that you need a cup brush on an arbour that will sweep the crap sideways in order to do any good. With a metal cutting saw it may help to use a coolant nozzle to keep the brush clean as well. This is the way that I'm thinking of going with the wood saw (but use an air line instead of coolant :-).

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Tom Gardner

It DID get rid of your acne! (and eyebrows)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The 8" are rated in Imperial RPM, the 10" are rated in metric RPM.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom, I have an idea for a tool that will save me many hours of misery.

I have to wire brush and paint my barn roof. It's over 10K sq.ft. of 5-vee tin, with a lot of surface rust.

I've been looking for a cylindrical wire brush about 8" long by, say, 3-4" diameter with the ability to be rotated between bearings like a street sweeper broom. Using this "wire sander" would enable me to do hundreds of square feet of metal an hour, instead of the few dozen hand-brushing would allow.

I think it would save enough time to justify building an electric machine to spin it. I even considered replacing the brush in a rotating-brush vacuum cleaner with wire to do the job, but those don't have much muscle... I think a dedicated machine would better server.

Any such products out there?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sorta like "feather tons" vs. "brick tons", no?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Radian Per Minute vs. Revolutions Per Minute.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

That's a 2Pi-to-one ratio.

That would make the 10" only good for about 860 revolutions per minute vs. the 8" which is good for 4500? -- that doesn't seem right.

I have a 1968 Deutz tractor made in Germany with all-German nomenclature. The RPM on the tach is in revolutions per minute.

Tom G. you're being paged again.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Of course, this is the metric system. :-)) And if it is all German, it would be UpM (Umdrehungen pro Minute).

Nick, not wanting to start another metric/imperial war!

Reply to
Nick Müller

Yes, that's what it says (actually says UPM). But at marked PTO speed of

540 UpM, the PTO is turning 540 Revolutions per minute. If that were radians per minute, it'd be more like 160 revolutions per minute -- hardly fast enough to mow with!

My comment about the tractor wasn't the nomenclature issue so much as to point out that they weren't expressing rotational velocity in radians, but in revolutions. I far _prefer_ metric over English/Imperial -- just makes more sense.

Somehow, though, I've not seen metric-measuring countries noting rotation in radians per minute, and in the case of Tom's brush, it doesn't seem to wash, else the spec on that brush is darned slow.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Check out item# 140009234497 on ebay. It might give you some ideas.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

The radians per minute was a joke! Sorry that _you_ didn't get it. ;-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Perhaps you need a degree in humor, or to approach it from a different angle. By the way, is that a metric minute, or an Imperial minute?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

:-)) I'm gon-na change that.

Here in Bavaria, the clocks are running backwards (you really can buy them), but the duration is the same. Never left town, so I can't answer the imperial minute.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Cool tool! $2,500 new! I called the lady owner and talked about wire brushes...thanks Wayne.

Reply to
Tom Gardner