sandblasting stainless: a no-no?

Sorry, was I being obtuse there? Was just trying to be acute.

Nice

I would pay real money for a clock which looks normal but runs backwards. Anyone got a local source of these?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

All in German. That what looks like a clock is one that is running backwards.

or that one:

There are many if you use google.de and search with "rückwärts +uhr" (c&p the phrase).

If you can't get it in the US, I could order you one.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

It just came up on my local machinery search. I thought it looked useful but not enough for me to pay even the opening bid.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Yup... that would be the item... but I know I can make one for a couple of hours' spare time, if only I had the brush. LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ohhhh.... I get it! (blush)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Why not just stack reg wire brushes on a mandrel ? Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Ahah, Right, that'll be it then. Thanks for that :-)

Mark Rand(quite happy to live in his own little world of degrees C, psi, and Whitworth threads) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hey Nick. I understand your humour! I suspect that simple European/British humour/irony/sarcasm evolves into something very complicated as it swims up hill across the Atlantic.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

With AC-powered electric clocks (at least the non-digital ones) it is pretty easy to fix them to run backwards -- but if it is an alarm clock, you will have problems once it hits the set time.

I did that to a fellow-student's clock -- and the first thing that he tried to fix it was clipped off the crimp splices inside the clock and swapped the leads between the sides of the AC cord coming in. And in those days, at least, clock cords weren't keyed so they could only be plugged in one way. I haven't really looked at a recent electric clock.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

As long as it has a synchronous electric motor, (typically these are a very tiny rotor with a geartrain packaged in a small metal housing, and a frame applying the AC magnetic field), all you need to do is to slide the shading coils onto the opposite pole pieces.

These motors -- at least back in the very early 1960s when I did it, had identical sizes on the two halves of the split pole pieces, and the shading coils are a rectangular ring of copper around one of the two on each side. Just slide them to the other side -- or if possible, flip the frame with the coil around to accomplish the same thing -- but the mounting holes are often asymmetrical to prevent that.

All the electric clocks in the house are digital these days, so I can't check current construction.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Are "metric" revolutions bigger or smaller than "Imperial" ??? Maybe there are 2.54 metric revs per Imperial rev. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
lew hartswick

I should say, with the right numbers on the face just not where people expect them. Years ago I hung up a 24-hour clock down at the fire station, had a great deal of fun messing with people's minds on that one. A digital clock is just a bit too obscure for most audiences. Something that looks like a clock but seems to be clearly wrong would be fun to have.

Just remember, if your Doctor is talking about a "digital exam", it has nothing to do with microchips.

Reply to
Dave Hinz
[ ... ]

Yes -- and she does *not* look forward to that part of her job. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've seen them in various novelty catalogs over the years. Somewhere I read that there's a type of clock that's designed to be viewed in a mirror, by mounting it on the opposite wall (for example, the mirror behind a bar-- I guess the bartender learns to read it backwards).

Supposedly there's a name for them-- maybe just "bar clock" (although that can also refer to any kind of advertising clock that you might see in a bar, so google isn't much help there).

Reply to
Ron Bean

clocks that run backwards are common in Saudi Arabia - mostly bought by westerners though - if you look for a clock with hindi numerals (our numbers are "arabic", the arabs use "hindi" - don't ask), you are likely to find suppliers of these things - the last time I was in a place that had them, they were under $10

Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

I remember someone at college (Bill Noble might also remember) did this to a wall clock. It was a simple matter of changing/reversing the wiring of the AC motor.

Changing the face is another issue, but clock kits sell numbers.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Shhh!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Search "barbershop clock" with the quotes on Google and get 200-some hits. The hands go counterclockwise and the numerals on the face are backwards, so it looks like a normal clock when seen in a mirror.

I checked the first site from Google and they also have a "backwards clock" (see ) where both the hands and the numerals go counterclockwise, so when the position of the hands say

8:20 it's actually 3:40. When seen in a mirror, the hands go clockwise but the numberals are backwards. Either way, it maks my brain hurt.

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

leevalley.com sell barbershop movements and dials.

Adam Smith Midland, ON

Reply to
Adam Smith

Excellent. My next project is obvious, thank you!

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz