The worlds most awesome chess set...

Is being built by me.

So far...well, I havn't actually started, lol. I got a real wood chess board and its in the center of the dinner table, I plan to add the first piece within a week. In the end I hope to make a new board also.

I'm going to combine milling and lathe for the cutting. For the modeling I havn't decided yet. I might use solidworks just because it's easy. Then I can import iges and dxf as needed to feed the lathe and mill. Mastercam solids is too limited to even pretend to use. I might use cimatron, I have a student version at home(cough) that I can model with, then bring it to work and cut it. Not sure yet.

As far as design, im looking over chess sets online left and right. Something to get me started. I was thinking 300 stainless and moldmax for the pieces. Felt bottoms. maybe diamond polish the 300 stainless, spin polish with fine scotchbrite the moldmax. Aluminum is just too light for chess pieces.

If anybody has done something like this post some pics.

Reply to
vinny

Take some inspiration from Mark Ho... Look at the metal man sculpture, maybe the Knights could be a replicate, astride a mechanical horse sculpture.

You did intend to make the worlds most awesome set? The might be pretty high, with this type of sculpture out there.

Curiously he also comes up making home made vacuum tubes.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

============ Several youtube videos available. Makes my efforts look sick. See

{PAWN}
{QUEEN}
{ROOK W/ LIVE TOOLING}

For an amateur attempt (and a work in progress) see

As indicated, Smid in the 2nd ed of his _CNC Programming Handbook_ on the enclosed cd has the complete chess set drawings in pdf format, and solution programs in "Fanucian." Note the programs will not run as is on the Microtech free cnc emulator, and when converted contain many g codes that are simply skipped such as the roughing passes. These are in metric. I have made Intellicad [Autocad clone] dwg files for several of the chess pieces and have included most of the cnc dimensions such as ends/centers of arcs on separate layers. Also included is Smid's cribbage board drawing in pdf, Inteliacad drawing in dwg, his Fanucian program and my generic ISO program that will run on the MT simulator, but will most likely need "tweaks" to run on a real machine. As you seem eager I will email Smids material as a zipped email attachment.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

you should start a blog with pics so we can see your progress and input

Reply to
raamman

Use it- Force yourself. It ain't gonna be easy, but it will be an excellent learning experience. Playing with Cimatron (sneeze) is not a good way to learn IMO. But if you have a job, know the expected outcome, you will do it, by hook or by crook. Start with the Knight. - you may change your mind about this job. How the hell do you model a horses head from scratch. - better start looking for "ready made" 3D models you can modify to your liking. Intricate solid modeling especially figurines is tough shit. & way different than laying a toolpath down (w/o retracts )

Gotta alot of scrap titanium if yer interested pretty easy to cut, easy to get a nice finish, What will distinguish the two colors? just the difference between diamond SS & scotchbrighted MM? maybe a small painted band at the base? that way all material is the same.

The wife was in ceramics years ago & she made me a set for my birthday at the time - hand painted- absolutely gorgeous. Has'nt been out of the box for years. The board is a wall decoration, laminated walnut & birch.

Reply to
cncmillgil

========== The knight in horsehead format seems to be the hardest piece to make. For what apparently is an edm electrode see

I wonder how many blocks in this program and how long it took to generate. Any one using this Siemens control and/or program?

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

:

shouldn't be anything to machine in a 4 axis mill, just the design must fit the rest of pieces; which is actually probabally the hardest step, a nice consistent design.

Reply to
raamman

shouldn't be anything to machine in a 4 axis mill, just the design must fit the rest of pieces; which is actually probabally the hardest step, a nice consistent design.

********* Good point. Can't just model a piece up, it has to fit in with the theme. I'm gonna start with the pawns, make them relatively basic, build from there.

Oh yah! That queen will have some huge knockers, that you can be sure! maybe I will save time and just model a paper bag over the queens face.

Reply to
vinny

te:

Your not going to model the pieces after Mark Ho's sculpture? That would be extra impressive.. The King, the Queen, the knights rooks... The worlds Greatest chess set......

Reply to
Cross-Slide

Your not going to model the pieces after Mark Ho's sculpture? That would be extra impressive.. The King, the Queen, the knights rooks... The worlds Greatest chess set......

damn

Reply to
vinny

te:

lol !

but really spend the time to design the pieces before you start cutting- you might find yourself wanting to revise the design of pieces you've already cut- but, saying that, you realize industial design and machining are entirely different animals, not at all related; you might be artistically inclined (or not)- and if you are not then you might just borrow someone else's design just to be able to get things going.

Reply to
raamman