lathe chuck....0005 tir!

I am a believer. You guys told me the best I would get is 5 tenths, and thats the best i got on a korean made hydralic lathe chuck.

Installed a new chuck today, ran it at 3 grand forward and reverse all day. Greased up good...

One thing, the jaws move forward a lot. And not the jaw, but the jaw carrier. They tip .002-.005 depending on how much pressure you use. The jaw stays strait, its not bending, its like the carriers are tipping underneith, like there's clearance.

I sure would like to see an American made chuck! I bet they don't tip 5 grand, and I bet you can acheive .0002 on bored jaws.

Looks like I'm in for another round of trying to hold a tenth as I go insane. Seems when it comes time to hold a tenth on a secondary op, or a second chucking the pressure needs to be extremely low. Rpm needs to be relatively slow, maybe nothing over a grand or so. Proberbly need some kind of low profile jaws.

Jeesh, everyone thinks this shit is push button tenths, but damnit it's absolutely not! We aren't there yet, and if I catch a salesman saying it is he's getting an italian necktie.

Reply to
vinny

When it absolutely has to be dead on you are better off boring out a 5c emergency collet. Lose the chuck altogether if you can. 5c nose pieces are easy to find starting around $1500, about 1/5 of what you are going to spend on a chuck that can hold less than .0005.

Reply to
Bill

Uhh Clem