Lathe chuck jaws...

Awl --

I got a nice-ish Poland 10" 3-jaw chuck, of course with no jaws -- PUL-M10L1ZD, #4673.

I want to use this in place of my 5C collet fixtures for the fadal, for bigger diameter rounds.

Inybody got jaws laying around that might fit this?

The jaws need to be less than 1.110 thick. The slot in the jaws needs a gap of greater than .485, and the the slots are about .375 deep. And the amount protruding down from the slot to the chuck body should be less than .42.

tia.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

No, but I wound up with a set of external jaws for a tiny 6-jaw, high-end brand whose name escapes me.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I would go the route of just making a bunch of soft jaws. Make them out of both steel & alum...way easy to make & very versatile.

Reply to
Zymrgy

I would go the route of just making a bunch of soft jaws. Make them out of both steel & alum...way easy to make & very versatile. ========================================= ========================================

You mean, the teeth that run in the scroll ditty is easy to make?? Sheeit, not easy for me!! Plus, each of the three jaws is different, as each one has a differerent offset relative to the scroll, in the 1-2-3 positions, right?

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Ill check my Stuff.

Bison chuck?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You got a cnc mill, the serrations should be easy. Might have to grind your own cutter out of a lathe bit.

Now, you need to mount it to your chuck, use something to put a bit of load on all jaws. I think something round will do it if a three jaw.

Turn the jaw tips.

Now you have three jaws with the tips matching a circle while mounted.

If you put them in a mill vise, use a stop to pick up the same point on each of them, you can use your spiffy fadal or whatever to mill what ever profile you like.

Wes

Wes

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in news:4a9ede83$0$22531$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Are you missing just the top jaws or the master jaws too?

You can buy top jaws all over the place. Master jaws will probably have to come from the OEM.

Reply to
D Murphy

Didn't say Bison, just Poland. No Bison stamp, either, and the above number doesn't come up in google. But, it still might be close to a bison.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

No jaws at all = master jaws? Ahm lookin right down at the scroll, yo.

Oh yeah, the 10" chuck has a 3 1/8 thru hole, fwiw.

The chuck itself is kind of thin, about 3 1/4" thk, altho surely some back plate is missing, because the rack/pinions etc are plain as day. There are 6 tapped holes on the back for a plate.

I will be putting legs on this to raise the chuck off the table, to hold long-ish rounds in the vertical, for drilling/tapping/facing.

Will be a lot easier than futzing around with 5C collets, esp. when sizes are varying.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Not only are you way over-estimating my abilities, you are scaring me. :)

I proly could figger sumpn out, but it would take me goddamm forever, and proly a dozen tries. goodgawd, just the thought gives me hives...

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

PV:

It's extremely possible that you might waste more time than the chuck is worth trying to find scroll jaw that fit.

BottleBob

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in news:4a9f0a19$0$31266$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

You don't have a chuck, you've got a door stop.

Sorry.

Reply to
D Murphy

Without jaws most pollak would only use as a doorstop.

I would help more if you werent a cross-posting moron.

measure the pitch of the existing scroll and divide by 3, take off a tad for running clearance.

Cad-cam is your friend

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

Hell..post a picture of the chuck somewhere on the net so we can see it.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

One of the most comprehensive lines of jaws 'n stuff for chucks

Good luck

"D"

Reply to
"D"