Be careful with shotguns - What would you have done?

Some years ago, a young neighbor and I were dove hunting. He had one
of those cheap import sbs doubles.
I was sitting in the shade on the tailgate of the truck when he came
walking up. "I can't get my gun open". I asked what's wrong. "I had a
misfire". Stop! Do not move!
I went around behind him and took the gun with a firm grip with both
hands. I sat down on the ground with my back to a tree and the butt on
the ground between my legs, barrel pointed straight up.
I explained that we had a hell of a problem. Nothing I did would open
the action. You could hear the lock moving but something had it
blocked. My first plan was to tie it to a fence post and build a fire
around it hoping to cook off the round. Then it struck me that maybe I
could bounce fire it. Bounced it on the ground several times with no
results.
I'm holding it back in the safe position between my legs. While
telling him what we need for this cremation, KABOOM.
I don't recall what the problem was but it was obvious after looking
at it. Unloaded, it hung several more times. No gunsmith would touch
it. We took a torch to it.
What would be the proper thing to do in this situation?
--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Reply to
Andy Asberry
what's sbs?
is that slamming the butt into the ground?
Reply to
Cydrome Leader
side by side
That sounds about right
Reply to
platapus03
Side by side - Two barrels lined up horizontally. Contrast with the vertical barrel arrangement of an "o/u" (over/under) double-barrel shotgun.
Reply to
Don Bruder
painting [2006-7-16] Welcome to the wonderful world of high quality art. In all the great museums of the world one can see dedicated and highly talented artists painting reproductions of the world great masterpieces. For anyone who appreciates great works of art and that includes the majority of people, these reproductions give one the opportunity to appreciate these works of art in ones own home or office. The reproductions capture the same moods, beauty feeling and magic as the original and induct one into the same emotion and spirit that the original artist put into his paintings. Paintings speak to the individual in a nonverbal way and convey a deep message. They have been divided into 18 different catalogs to enable you to go specifically to the styles you want. If you want to enlarge any of the pictures for a better look, just click on the picture.
Reply to
xiaoningen
Since the shells were loaded with dove loads and you pointed the muzzle somewhere near vertical, the method employed to discharge the live ammunition seems to have worked. Since it could have fired at any moment, it would be dangerous to transport. Lacking a heavy vise and a sledgehammer, not much way in the woods to force open the action without getting too close. Can't just leave it lying about to endanger others.
Reply to
Thomas Kendrick
the doubles next to it threw me off. side by sides are already doubles.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader
There are in existence side by sides that are over and unders as well in a 88 configuration a double side by side after firing the first two rounds the barrels are rotated 180 and this engages the sears for the next two ,Thought I would post this just to add more confusion ??
Reply to
Bob Mead
side by side
The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.
In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.
Theodore Dalrymple,
Reply to
Gunner
So you're saying that after bouncing it for awhile, it didn't discharge. So then while you were then just sitting there, considering your next move, a round suddenly went off ?
Yikes.
Did the firing pin become dislodged and spring forward causeing this discharge, or did was it a slow burning primer that finally ignited the round ?
Pray tell, what kind of ammo was this ?
Was the shotgun a Russian "Spartan" ?
Reply to
GatherNoMoss
Ha. I found it necessary to "finish" a new Baikal with a file before using it.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader
Hand it to Dick Cheney, he might take out a fellow politician this time.
Reply to
John Kunkel
I don't think it was a slow primer. It had been about 30 minutes since he pulled the trigger.
While bouncing it on the ground, I was prepared for the discharge but not just sitting there.
Thinking about it more, I seem to recall there was a burr on the firing pin that would occasionally snag. It was an attractive gun but a piece of crap mechanically.
--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Reply to
Andy Asberry
My first thought would be to NEVER allow YOU to handle another gun.
Bouncing it on the ground!!!!!
Searcher
Reply to
Shopdog
Let's see. He has a gun in an unsafe condition, which he is unable to put into a safe condition in any of the normal ways. He points it in a safe direction and applies force to the inner workings, along the axis of the stuck mechanism.
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. What specifically of this do you disagree with? If you're on about damage to the hardware, you need to put that in perspective.
Reply to
Dave Hinz
How about digging a deep trench and burying it? If it goes off under ground, no problem. If it doesn't, by the time someone finds it--if ever--it will be too rusty to fire.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Actually..thats a very valid action. One just has to keep muzzle control..ie pointed in the proper safe direction.
It is a mechanical device with a trigger/sear unit and if it hung up, the weapon could not be safely opened and cleared. So best to get it to discharge before trying to open it.
The action of trying to open a "stuck" firearm can discharge it in some cases, when the barrel/bolt/action are unlocked. That is not a Good Thing to have happen.
Gunner
The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.
In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.
Theodore Dalrymple,
Reply to
Gunner
Ive taken a dead blow hammer to the range when working on firearms with similar issues. Generally works pretty well, or a good solid plastic faced hammer and giving it a solid WACK on the bolt or action over the fireing mechanism.
Nearly every firearm can be repaired if the guts are spotty. Why destroy it? If your lathe has a hung gear in the QC box..do you take a torch to it?
Gunner
The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.
In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.
Theodore Dalrymple,
Reply to
Gunner
"Gunner" (clip) Nearly every firearm can be repaired if the guts are spotty. Why destroy it? If your lathe has a hung gear in the QC box..do you take a torch to it? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Gunner, I invite your attention to the following quotation from the original post:
"I don't recall what the problem was but it was obvious after looking at it. Unloaded, it hung several more times. No gunsmith would touch it. We took a torch to it."
Of course, at the time they did not know all this. But, they had already decided to "burn it at the stake." So saving and repairing it were not an available choice.
Also, a lathe with a stuck gear is not likely to be lethal.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
No..it WAS an available choice. As you said..they had already decided to burn it at the stake.
Neither is an broken but unloaded until repaired shotgun
Gunner