Scraping V-ways?

How does one go about testing the flatness and trueness of v-ways (for example, those on the cross slide of a lathe) during the scraping process? I can't imagine being able to get at the surfaces with a straight edge like on bed ways.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

If you read connelly you find that dovetail surfaces basically need a master gage to scrape to. That's part of the fun, getting the angle gage.

You first scrape one surface to be accurate, using the gage to get the angle correct. Of course at the same time you have to maintain parallelism and so on between the two sides.

Then you use the one scraped dovetail part as a gage, to do the mating surface.

Jim

jim rozen

Then you need to stretch your imagination. :-)

If you can get to them to scrape them, you should be able to get to them to check them. Some disassembly may be (almost certainly will be) required. You may need a smaller straight edge, or you may be able to bring the part over to the surface plate for checking.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Now why the heck did I say v-ways? I meant to say dovetails.

What a brain-o.

Reply to
Artemia Salina