Sealed (really sealed) run capacitors?

My coolant pump died today. All points to the run capacitor (there is no start capacitor). The pump vibrates and overheats, but would not run.

10 uF, 220v.

The cap is attached to the pump motor by means of a springy bracket.

This is a "sealed capacitor" with no exposed terminals. It is not like regular caps with push on terminals. There are no exposed terminals. I can post a picture tomorrow.

I could not find such units at mcmaster or digikey. Are there such caps sold anywhere at all?

Ignoramus30382

Have you tried looking on ebay, plenty of run capacitors with flying leads on ebay in the UK at least.

Reply to
David Billington

Stuck centrifugal switch? Sure the pump didn't suck in a stray chip and jam up?

Reply to
Pete C.

I am not sure. I did not have time yesterday, may look at it today. The pump has a inlet filter that looks decently enough made to catch chips.

Ignoramus16841

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in news:K-qdnYBh2skzJ8fRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Um... then how does it connect? Does it have pigtails instead of spade lugs?

If so... yes, pigtail caps are readily available.

I don't really know what you mean by "sealed", though. All conventional electrolytics must have some sort of pressure-relief vent ('cept tantalums... but they're a different breed.)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Tantalum capacitors are not electrolytics - no electrolyte (and thus no drying out with age).

Reply to
Pete C.

These are run caps, so they are not electrolytic. If you know of a place to get a pigtail run cap, let me know.

Ignoramus16841

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c5ac7b0$0$8885 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

Yes, Pete, I know... They still persist in calling them "tantalum electrolytics" in some circles. That is what I meant by "different breed".

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I expect most any electrical or HVAC supply place will have suitable caps.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sounds like a circle to avoid...

Reply to
Pete C.

I think all tantalum caps are considered electrolytics. Don't think so, just reverse the polarity and wear safety glasses.

Centainly wet slug tantalums are electrolytics.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c5ad796$0$8903$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

Ig... what is the nature of the connections? Is it opposite-ends (axial), single-end (radial), single pigtail on one end with a bolt on the other end, one axial pigtail with the case clamp as the other connection? (wouldn't expect one of the last two on a motor, but you never know)

And last -- if it is an axial with two leads, why couldn't you make up your own pigtails for a quick-disconnect type?

There are lots of oil-filled film caps out there in several package styles.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news:6d8d5387- snipped-for-privacy@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Heh! Used to do it all the time, for fun! We had "see how many 'tops' you can embed in the acoustic ceiling tile" competition in the lab.

(yeah, I know... wasteful, youthful activity, but still fun!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Pigtail on the side.

It is operating in a wet area, that's why.

It would not be very safe to put it on a pump that sits in a coolant sump next to water level.

Ignoramus16841

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in news:eI2dneMa94zAQ8fRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

One, only, not two?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

one multiconductor pigtail.

Ignoramus16841

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in news:6vmdnQ7LZIzsfcfRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ok... you're in your "obtuse" mode today.

For purposes of settling on terms, let's say I believe EACH conductor is a "pigtail".

How many conductors, Ig?

(hint... although anything more than one could be construed as "multi" under the strictest definition, the term "multi-conductor" is usually reserved in cable parlance (and Webster's) for "more than two")

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I am pretty sure that the pigtail has two conductors, but I did not open it to look, yet.

Ignoramus16841

This might be unobtainium.

Could you route a couple wires down your sealtight and put the cap inside the cabinet?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ignoramus16841 fired this volley in news:ePOdnXI5a6fWeMfRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

And the shape of the package? Cylindrical, oval cylinder, square?

The leads come out the side? Centered on the long dimension? short? end of the cylinder or oval? (clue... the last two would be considered "radial leads", which are most common)

Ig... you're a _really_ smart guy, but today it's like dealing with Stryped trying to drag information out of you. Have a bad night?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh