run/start caps

Gang, Quick question.... I have a situation where a 7-1/2 HP 220v single phase motor is popping start caps. Not very frequently, but a couple of times. It seems either the cap blows or the "riveted" terminal on top of the cap burns off, rendering the motor "no start". I'm wondering if an oil filled run cap of the same value would work in its place??? Other than cost, is there a reason that run caps shouldn't be used for start caps? The machine is "jogged" quite a bit in use and the frequent starting may be the cause of the problem. Suggestions?? Thanks. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Frequent starting will cause problems/failures with start caps. Run caps are typically only available in low values, and I doubt that you could find them with a high enough value to replace a start cap for a motor of that size.

A better solution might be to get one of the Hard Start Booster-type starting capacitors to replace your start cap. The hard start-types have thermistors in the housings which should reduce the stress caused by the frequent starts/jogs that the plain start cap is very likely suffering from.

I haven't needed to buy Hard Start Booster caps for 7 1/2 HP motors, but I would expect the cost to be worthwhile, compared to down time and getting/replacing the failed caps.

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

According to Wild_Bill :

You could probably parallel up several to make the needed capacitance -- but the bulk would certainly preclude mounting the replacement in the bulge on the side of the motor housing.

Another alternative would be to get a VFD and a three-phase motor to replace the single-phase. There are 7.5 HP VFDs available which would run from single phase.

That would allow you to use really slow motion for the jogging function, and the VFD could spread the current surge over a wider time at a lower value. You get the additional benefit of getting variable speed. Granted, the initial cost is greater, but I think that the overall benefit would be in your favor, since you are using this to make money.

Get a quick-change mount for the starting cap? :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols