Secret CIA assessment

There is a big news item circulating, saying that a "secret CIA assessment" is suggesting that the Russians hacked the election. If true, it may be the first CIA assessment in a row of false ones, to be a true assessment.

The previous ones, about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, condition of ISIS and so on, all turned out to be false and politically motivated. My first question is, which is this -- a conclusion on a domestic matter- a "CIA" assessment rather than a FBI assessment. CIA, after all, is for spying abroad and not for investigating spying in our homeland.

And second, why is it secret? Is that, possibly, so that it would not be challenged?

The only explanation is that, just like most such past "CIA assessments", they are nothing but political hot air, maybe a last ditch attempt to sway "electors".

Amusingly, even the FBI does not support this "assessment".

It is sad to see how we have so deteriorated politically, Hillary and Trump being top contenders to lead our country, and everything that is following.

Reply to
Ignoramus23868

Nonsense. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of CIA assessments that you never hear about. The ones we remember are the incorrect ones.

The CIA is about warning our government about likely or possible threats. The FBI is about getting convictions in a court of law.

How much secret spy information would you like to broadcast to the world?

You have no idea.

The FBI couldn't get a conviction. They want physical or attributable evidence. The CIA wants to know the dark and hidden secrets.

Don't be such a pessimist. There really wasn't much wrong with Hillary, except that many people wanted some big changes and she wasn't going to supply them. What she was going to supply is competence.

We'll survive Trump. And I suspect that we'll have some attitude adjustments during his term. A shakeup isn't a bad idea, just so he doesn't shake us into a trade war or a Russian imperial expansion.

Reply to
edhuntress2