securing a nut on a screw

I'm looking at buying some winged nuts, but I imagine that after I have screwed the nut onto the screw, when I try to turn the winged nut to screw or unscrew the screw, it would actually move the winged nut one way or the other up or down the screw, rather than screwing or unscrewing the screw. How would I securely screw the nut on the screw so that the nut doesn't move around when I turn it? And would this method work for screws made from either metal or plastic?

thanks!

Reply to
Ronnie Harrison

Jam nuts (two nuts tightened toward each other) will work, regardless of material type. For steel fasteners, loctite works to lock a single nut in place. Other possibilities, with varying degrees of reliability, are instant glue or nail polish. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Well here are three ways:

1 A jamb nut, which is an ordinary nut run up on the screw after the wingnut and tightened against it.
  1. Locktite, a proprietary concoction intended for the purpose,
    some crazy glue in the threads. This will probably not work with plastic screws.
  2. Braze, silver solder or lead-tin solder the nut to the screw.
Reply to
John Ings

You can also drill a hole through the screw an insert a cotter pin or similar fastening device.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

That is how wing nuts are supposed to work. I think you are looking for thumb screws. You can make your own thumb screws out of wing nuts and bolts as suggested by the other posters, or just buy some thumb screws.

Wing Nuts:

Thumb Screws:

Daven Thrice

Hold one wing of the nut with a pair of pliers and set the nut sideways on an anvil. Wollop it with a large hammer to make the hole in the nut slightly oval. (Don't go overboard, just a little out of round is all you want.)

Ed

Reply to
Ed Bailen

One can also use a half-nut below the wing nut.....

Bill

Reply to
Bill P

Jam nut. Welding the nut on. Loctite. Epoxy. Peening the screw with the nut in place. Drilling though the screw and nut and pinning them together. Cross-threading the nut agressively. Using a nut with threads that don't quite match the screw and forcing it on with a big wrench. Corrosion. The possible methods are endless, choose one that suits, or just buy a thumbscrew (or heat up the end of the screw and hammer it flat yourself).

Reply to
Ecnerwal