Seeking a Specialty Nut

I'm looking for a specialty nut that I haven't yet been able to find and was hoping that someone out there knew where I could either get one or a trustworthy company where I could have them made.

The nut that I'm looking for is similar to a washer nut (basically looks like a nut with a washer attached to it, or you can think of it as a nut with a large flange), but its got a "washer" on either end so it looks more like a spool. In addition, the nut itself shouldn't be a hex, it should be a smooth cylinder. In this way, it looks like a rivet nut with two washers on either end.

More specifically, I need it to fit a standard 3/8" bolt, it should be stainless steel, and it should only be 5/16" tall from end to end (the "washer" ends should be 1/16" each, so the spool would be 3/16").

If anyone has seen anything like this or knows where one can be made, let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sounds like a fast job for a turret lathe with a crosslide.

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will, through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs, Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota). The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability. Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones, of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines." Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Gunner

These came to mind; we use them in honeycomb panels. But they don't seem to have the exact size you need. Other mfrs. may have, though. Google potted insert honeycomb, should get some hits.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

If it's an NF thread, go to an aircraft parts place and ask for an MS21042-6. They are a low-profile nut that have a smaller hex than usual, but are high-strength. Try

or

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas