SET UP for BROACHING?

Hi, I'm going to attempt to push a 5/8" square broach through a stack of .187" cr pieces and I was wondering if anyone can point me to the proper setup and technique? The tool is pricey and I don't want to ruin it. Pictures would be gretly appreciated! Thanks, --Max

Reply to
Max Krippler

Remember to lube well, make sure the parts don't shift, make sure the broach is straight. How many in your stack?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I dunno. I'll have to look it up on the Dumont website (if there is one.) Is there a rule of thumb to follow? I know there is a minimum cut thickness set by the tooth spacing, but is there a maximum? Or even more important, is there an optimum?

--Max

Reply to
Max Krippler

For that broach DuMont says 16 .. 41mm. Should be about 6 teeth for the maximum length. You are aware, that the pilot hole has to be bigger than the 5/8". And that you need about 27000 N.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Forgive me, but what is a "27000 N" ? Is that something to hold the broach with or ?

I guess the kinds of things I was hoping to see or read about might be:

What kind of press or puller set-ups have worked for others?

What do you use to support the broach and hold it in place? Should it be some kind of a floating rig to take care of any misalignments?

--Max

Reply to
Max Krippler

It is the force required. Some will call it "2.7 tons".

A blank with a bigger hole. Something stiff enough. Your intuition will help you well enough.

No, lift the ram after 1/3 and 2/3 stroke. But that has been answered already.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

[ ... ]

Note that Nick is posting from Germany, and thus is posting using metric units. In particular, the "N" is Newtons -- a unit of force. The unix "units" program tells me that to convert from Neutons to pounds force (lbf), yo multiply by 2.248089e-01, or 0.2248089, so his

27000 N becomes 6,069.84 pounds force, or just a little over 3 tons force (using US tons.)

And his translation in his answer (which did not make clear to you what 'N' stood for) is no doubt into Metric "tonnes", which is why it came out to 2.7 instead of 3.0. Close enough given what you are doing.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I knew exactly what Nick meant when he posted 27000N, but then I did physics in junior and senior high in the US which was all metric and have lived in the UK for the last 25 years. Never did US tons AFAIK but am used to UK tons being 1000kg

Reply to
David Billington

My conversion was only meant to be for the UK. :-)) I'm trying to use the right spelling for center/centre and aluminium/aluminum in different NGs. But tons, that's too much for me. ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

A metric tonne 1000kg is near as dammit the same as the other ton previously used worldwide for trade (2240lbs) there is about 16kg or

35lb between the two. There is a funny 2000lbs 'short ton' used in just one country some four centuries after every one else on the planet stopped using it - hence the confusion.

It would be a reasonable assumption to make that everyone else in the world outside the USA understood the original response from Nick.

smiley alert ----> :)

Reply to
Mike

He may well have been using tons (2240lb) instead of short tons (2000lb)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand