Sharpening Forstners

Any trick, or just get a grinder or file and try to duplicate the angle? It looks sharp, but it smokes a bit when cutting. Maybe I hit a knot.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Be sure you sharpen only on the ID and the back side of the cutting edges . I find a diamond stone (HF cheapies) works very well on these , and on router bits . Got one small forstner type that some idiot ground a bevel on the outside . I use it to pin drawings to the wall . ( I work in a cabinet shop .)

Reply to
Snag

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:08:46 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

Use an auger bit file if you have clearance, Steve. If you have the split-side bits, a small honing stone will fit the throat to hone the back of the flute, or chip-breaker.

I heartily recommend Leonard Lee's (yes, of Lee Valley fame) book, _The Complete Guide to Sharpening_. He devotes several pages to forstner bits.

Reply to
Larry Jaques