Sharpening Stanley knife blades

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:31:24 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos" calmly ranted:

We all thought you were tougher than that, Harold, and dangled it in the lathe -to- trim it.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've got a "Rolls Razor" laying around. It's a case with a rack and pinion setup on one edge. The sides of the case have a stone and a leather face. You insert the razor head and push/pull a handle which flips the razor head back and forth as it slides down the stone...

Reply to
Rick

Well, I have this eccentric device that I grip in the chuck and attaches to the shears------you get the idea. Cropped by Graziano. Doesn't everyone do that?

Harold & Susan Vordos

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:20:14 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos" calmly ranted:

Reply to
Larry Jaques
[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Yep! I've got one as well -- though it is years since I have shaved. It pushes the blade along the stone, but draws it along the leather strop. The two side pieces with the strop and the stone are keyed so they can't be interchanged, so there is no chance of pushing the blade on the strop and pulling it on the stone.

The blade is like a section of a straight razor blade, except that it has a U-shaped guard frame which toggles back and forth as the sharpening goes on. The blade has a double-D socket in it, so it fits onto a projection on the shaft between the pinions on each end by pressing on at 90 degrees, and then rotating to be parallel to the shaft.

I can't find mine at the moment, but I do seem to remember that it had a rack-and-pinion at each side, not just one side -- to assure that the shaft did not c*ck in operation.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've got my grandfather's rolls razor. I never got it where I was willing to shave with it. this yahoo group can be interesting:

Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

I inherited one from my father. If I forget to shave with my Philips for a couple of days, then I use it to remove the long growth. Much better than disposables. Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200