Mending a broken switch stem

I have a particular rotary switch with an about 2mm thick stem. It is
made of some sort of steel. The stem on it is broken. It is an 11
position switch, kinda hard to find although I have seen 11 position
rotary switches (whose positions do not match the markings on the
I would like to know if there is a simple way of mending that
switch. Maybe silver brazing or using some sort of a drill and tap
mini screw with loktite. Any thoughts on this?
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
How about a tube over the break. Maybe the right sized electrical but connector soldered on.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
If you can dis-assemble the switch and get the shaft by itself silver-soldering (real silver, not the 5% stuff) is the way to go. Depends on where the break is and how much clearance you have before the knob sits on the shaft , but the idea of a sleeve is a good one if you can fit it.
With those multi position switches if it's an open frame design often you can just unbend some tabs and they'll come apart.
2mm is awfully small to attempt a merely mechanical repair.
Reply to
How long is it, and does it go through a panel or plate (with the switch behind) ?
If it actually is 2mm ( 0.0787 inch) an 0-80 tap is about .060 - leaves about a .009 wall thickness... I think it would just break again...
How about a sleeve or bushing around it with epoxy in it...?
Ooops... just checked before posting and Tom beat me to it with an additional idea as well... JHbs
Reply to
The switch stem may be a simple D section, and in some designs of switch, could be replaced.
Reply to
Ian Stirling
Thanks Ian. Good tip. I will soon have some time and will take that unit apart to see just what's up.
Reply to
Silver brazing should work. Would it be possible to sleeve the shaft and use setscrews to hold the sleeve to the shaft.
--RC "Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells 'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets fly with a club. -- John W. Cambell Jr.
Reply to
Is it something simple enough so that you could make a working functional duplicate with a little lathe work and some judicious filing to form the flat on the shaft?
Back when I was a kid, and the only power tool the family owned was a 1/4" electric drill, I was able to make small "turned parts" for model aircraft and the like with little more than that drill and an assortment of files and hacksaw blades.
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
Yes, if I can take the switch apart, I could make the whole new stem, Isuppose.
Reply to
Yup, the old Black and Decker speed lathe, did that myself. Turned some firing pins out of drill rod that way long before I ever had a lathe or could dream of owning one.
If the O.P.'s switch is part of a consumer electronic unit, chances are the importer won't have ANY parts, it's probably proprietary, best bet is to rob another unit or buy a replacement for it. Most stuff isn't built to be serviced anymore and they make it damned hard to try. It usually isn't worth the time given the falling cost of consumer electronics these days.
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.