Point Motor Wiring Question

I am currently motorising my points. I have the switching controlled by Maplin push-to-make switches.

I would also like to wire in a led to indicate which track is now 'live'. Can anybody point me to any suitable wiring diagrams to achieve this, as I've not managed to find anything suitable so far.

Thanks, in advance. Mike

Reply to
Mike_P

controlled by

this, as

The quickest and probably best way to do what you want is to use an switch [1] on the point motor, in that way you know if the blades have moved - not just the fact that you have supplied an operating current, just as the full sized railways do...

[1] You haven't said what motors you have, but IIRC many either already have 'switch contacts built in or have then as an accessory - like the Peco switch unit that fits to the point motor.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Which motors are you using? If it's standard type solenoid coils then a simple push to make will leave the coil energised which is not good. Are you using a capacitor discharge unit or summat like that? Or the push to makes for route and then an electric pencil?

Otherwise your best bet is to fit a switch to the point so that you get a definite indication that the blade has moved. If I recall correctly there are some LED's with built in resistors in the Maplin and RS catalogues, but I can't remember what voltages they are suitable for. You need to limit the current flowing through the LED, calculate it to match the voltage you choose to supply the LED's with.

Good luck.

Reply to
Nick Coe (UK)

I'm using Hornby points and motors.

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike_P

Jerry's point is well made about the real railways using a switch at the point to show if they have indeed thrown. But, as nobody's life is in danger on our models, and as they do throw 99.9% of the time, there is a cheats way.

Forget using push buttons or whatever. Locate some 4-position multi-pole (exact number not important) rotary switches, one per point motor. Now, wire positions 2 and 3 to your solenoid, positions 1 and 4 to your LED's on your panel through a dropping resistor. The trick is to use positions 2 and 3 as passing contacts only, in other words, the switch is turned all the way to either position 1 or 4, and not paused in between. You may have to use an incentive program to train your operators to do this. I recommend a whip. :-) A fast recharge capacitor discharge point power supply may also be an advantage.

You can use spare poles below positions 2 and 3 to spread the current load to the solenoids. Also, the knob on the rotary can be used on a track diagram to show which position it is thrown to, and you are not just relying on LED's as position indicators.

Steve Newcastle NSW Australia

Reply to
Steve Magee

Hi Mike,

Peco motors can mount a double micro switch assembly . Their catalogue gives typical wiring arrangements. I presume that in their packaging will be similar information.

Yours P.A.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Reply to