Wiring switches in sets?

Hi,

I'm getting ready to install my switch motors and do the wiring. I noticed that for switches on parallel tracks they are in pairs, one switch on one line at 180 degrees to a similar switch on the adjacent line. I cannot think of any situations where they would not operate as a pair, i.e. the trains are running through or they're switching tracks. Question, should I wire them as a pair with a single switch that toggles for 'run-through' or 'switch', or should they be kept seperate?

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony

I have wired switches as a pair controlled by a single toggle in similar situation with no problem. It saves toggle switches & confusion IMHO.

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

When I had my old layout built, I had all crossovers wired so the switches would always be in correspondence. On real railroad crossovers are always left in correspondence, except in some rare circumstance. Mainline crossovers are ALWAYS in correspondence, and those that are electrically controlled by dispatcher or control station are wired exactly like what you are talking about so they move at the same time when a route is selected. It would make a lot of sense for you to do it this way.

Another thing you might want to consider is making a wiring matrix for your yard tracks, so all you have to do is press one button to select a route for a designated track, and the rest of the turnouts that lead to that track will automatically line up. There are a number of videos and books that deal with wiring turnouts in series. There is a method called making a "truth table" which illustrates how to do the wiring and insert resistors at certain points. I know Kalmbach used to have some books and videos on this subject. It'd be worth checking out if you are going to have many yard tracks.

Reply to
Slingblade

I wire double crossovers so that four switch machines are operated by a single toggle. Works fine. Jake Warner

Reply to
Jake Warner

T> Hi, T> T> I'm getting ready to install my switch motors and do the wiring. I T> noticed that for switches on parallel tracks they are in pairs, one T> switch on one line at 180 degrees to a similar switch on the adjacent T> line. I cannot think of any situations where they would not operate T> as a pair, i.e. the trains are running through or they're switching T> tracks. Question, should I wire them as a pair with a single switch T> that toggles for 'run-through' or 'switch', or should they be kept T> seperate?

I take it what you mean is a cross-over set. Yes, wire them together. Be careful of polarity!

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Can you use one switch machine? I have been thinking about using springs to keep the turnouts in the normally straight mode ans cams to throw the four turnouts into a change track position.

Straight

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX O O O O O XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Change track

XXXXXXXXOOOXXXXXXXXXXXXX X X X X X XXXXXXXXXOOOXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sorry, it doesn't print liks I type, but you get the idea, I hope.... Jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

This track configuration is called a Crossover, which is different from a Crossing. You are correct -- there is no reason that only one switch would be thrown at a time. So you can connext the switch motors to the same electrical switch, so that they operate at the same time. Or you can run a linkage from one motor to both throw rods, if your switch motor is powerful enough. For a crossover on my railroad, I custom-built a Motovator type motor with a Plastruct rod 14 inches long. Another writer mentioned polartiy. If you are not using electrically insulated frogs, you will need to put insulated joiners in the crossover rails or the track power will short out.

Reply to
SailNrails

S> >...switches on parallel tracks ... are in pairs, one S> >switch on one line at 180 degrees to a switch on the adjacent S> >line. I cannot think of any situations where they would not operate S> >as a pair,.... S> S> This track configuration is called a Crossover, which is different from a S> Crossing. You are correct -- there is no reason that only one switch would be S> thrown at a time. So you can connext the switch motors to the same electrical S> switch, so that they operate at the same time. Or you can run a linkage from S> one motor to both throw rods, if your switch motor is powerful enough. S> For a crossover on my railroad, I custom-built a Motovator type motor with a S> Plastruct rod 14 inches long. S> Another writer mentioned polartiy. If you are not using electrically insulated S> frogs, you will need to put insulated joiners in the crossover rails or the S> track power will short out.

If one is using multiple switch motors, one needs to be sure to wire the two motors properly.

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Does that mean if I have only one motor I can wire it improperly?

Reply to
Tom Groszko

One turnout machine will suffice for most machines (Switchmaster, Scale Shops, Roto-Motor, and possibly more), Polarity of the frogs is easy - follw the route, Mechanically, you will need extra contacts - it will be worth it --

Happy modeling!

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Stull

If you desire to create routing for a yard or a staging yard you can also create a diode matrix to throw different combinations of switches for a route or a siding.

Scott inBalto

Reply to
AKnieriem

That's what I was telling him about when I mentioned the "truth tables", but I believe I mistakenly said resistors, when I meant diodes whilst describing it.

Reply to
Slingblade