Wiring electrofrog points for manual operation under DCC

Could someone give me a quick rundown of how to wire a Peco live frog
point for DCC use without a point motor being attached? This is for a
very simple layout where the points will be hand operated and ideally
I don't want any associated switches with the points for switching
polarity etc.
On the same topic, any advice of a suitable DCC controller to
investigate for a simple layout with 3 continuous circuits with
crossovers between them and a couple of sidings?
All advice gratefully received.
ROB
Reply to
Robert Flint
"Robert Flint" wrote
I've not found it necessary to adopt any special wiring.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
As with DC wiring ensure that you only feed from the toe of the points. To properly wire for DCC you would need some sort of switching as DCC short circuit currents are much higher, up to the max current of the booster, than DC and you could burn out the contacts on the switch blades. As John says you can get away with it as I have done. To minimize the risk I have IBJs at the crossing joins so that the section at risk of shorting is reduced.
Chris
Reply to
Chris
Thanks. On a continuous loop how is it posible to only feed the toe as the supply creeps up rounf the other way, as it were!
My plan had been to ensure that every point on the layout was connected to its relevant supply, including the main circuits AND the sidngs, but put insulated fishplates on all the frog connections of the points. Is this correct?
ROB
Reply to
Robert Flint
You have to use insulated rail joiners on the other ends of the switch (everywhere except the toe).
Mark Thornton
Reply to
Mark Thornton
For DCC that is correct, only addition is if you have a reverse loop or triangle where you will need a fully isolated section to prevent one rail joining the other. Keith
Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Reply to
Keith Norgrove
You don't need insulated joiners on the outside rails, only on the frog rails, ie 2 per point. Keith
Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Reply to
Keith Norgrove
"Keith Norgrove" wrote
That's quite correct, but it's not bad practice to isolate all four rail.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
The same as DC.
Chris
Reply to
Chris
See the rough diagram of a set of points where the I is where the insulated fish plates are required.
/ I / / -------/--X--I-- ------------------
Chris
Reply to
Chris
Keith Norgrove wrote:-
According to the quickstart guide provided with Bachmann's E-Z Command it's necessary to isolate both rails where two turnouts are joined as a crossover. I am assuming this is best done with a pair of isolating fishplates?
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Correct, one of those is a frog rail of one turnout, the other the frog rail of the other, so complies with the rule to put two insulated joiners on the two rails of the frog. Keith
Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Reply to
Keith Norgrove
Out of interest, would it be OK to use a small air gap rather than insulated rail joiners, or would it be risky with expansion and contraction due to temperature? I wasn't planning on using any rail joiners if I could help it and wire each track individually but at the same time would prefer a rail joiner to unreliable track!
Reply to
Michael Walker
Most of mine are just that, air gaps, till I get round to fitting cosmetic fishplates. Depends how well you fix everything down, in some cases I have glued a sliver of plasticard in the gap to stop it closing up. Keith
Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Reply to
Keith Norgrove
"Michael Walker" wrote
I have used this approach in the past - mainly to allow easy removal of pointwork in the event of a fault. You should be alright providing you lay your trackwork when the temperature is high (mid-Summer for instance) as otherwise the gap can certainly close up due to rail expansion.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Thanks to Keith and John for their replies, and the good advice to wait for a hot day to lay track (it's the middle of summer here although you wouldn't know it at the moment!).
Reply to
Michael Walker
"Michael Walker" wrote
LOL - you'd certainly know it was winter if you were here in Blighty! ;-)
Blighty - now that's a blast from the past!
John.
Reply to
John Turner