DCC

Hi,

I was wondering if some of you could answer a question for me. I am starting plans to build a layout, I already have track plan and know what I want the layout to do (it's basically a goods yard with a loop doubling as a main line). Is it easier to build a layout with DCC from scratch or build the layout traditionally and the convert it to DCC?

Many Thanks In Advance Robin

Reply to
Robin Long

Build it DCC from the start, one of the DCC benefits is simplified wiring, no point to do the complex wiring if you don't need it. You can still do your testing with DC using just one train. Keith

Reply to
Keith

Go with DCCC from the get go. Why pay for wiring and toggle switches controllers and stuff like that only to trash it all when you convert?

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Thank's for all your help you've convinced me. I've just to convine her indoor's now!!! :-)

Robin

Reply to
Robin Long

I would wire in sections as per DC as it will allow you easily add train detection in the future and make it easier to trace short circuits. What DCC makes simple is doing away with switching it does not always mean simplified layout wiring. And if you are transitioning an existing train fleet it will allow you to have some isolated sections to park your DC engines, not many of us can afford to convert all our train fleet to DCC at one go. If you are using electro frog points remember to isolate both joins to the crossing or frog in model railway terms as DCC does through more current out for short circuits, DC currents don't tend to so high.

Good luck and happy model railwaying

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote in news:NvSYe.11626$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

On the other hand building your own electronics can be rewarding in itself and in the case of my son a learning exercise at 8 Years old he can -

- solder wires to rail connectors

- recognise a cicuit and spot a short

- wire an LED and resistor in series - and know why he has to do this

... and one or two things besides.

My 7 year old daughter (who has a bit of a learning disability) isn't all that far behind, she can do practical but theory escapes her.

If daddy's train set was dcc then (a) daddy would be broke and (b) my little 'uns would learn beggar all - can't run before you can walk and all that.

And as a final point there is a lot to be said for building everything yourself, if it goes wrong you know how to fix it and providing you do the job properly it will do exactly what you want and not what someone else thinks you want.

Of course dcc does have plenty of advantages, electronics isn't everyone's cup of tea and most of all this is a very diverse hobby with different people wanting to do many different things. My point is simply that DC as opposed to DCC is neither necessarily obsolete nor unrewarding.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote If daddy's train set was dcc then (a) daddy would be broke and (b) my little 'uns would learn beggar all -

But Chris, they would ! I'm sure they would have great fun trying to fit the LED's inside a loco and then wiring the chip up, ensuring the motor is isolated and not shorting ?

And I'm sure there would be a way around Daddy being broke..... We just haven't come across it yet! (But not all DCC is expensive, although I acknowledge it may not be cheap!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote in news:dh1s17$v2o$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

Goes back to "trying to run before you can walk".

"Daddy what does this back box do?" "Erm ... well ..." long meaningless explanation

OTOH resisters slow the electricty if you use them this way or they can make it smaller if you use them this way. Diode ... well it's just like a "one way" sign it stops the electricty going the wrong way, capacitor ... it's like a tiny battery, transistot ... its like traffic lights, if you turn it on it lets the electricty go though it this way and if you use two together you can make it go really fast ... etc etc ... all the way up to TTL - at which point DCC becomes understandable.

Me niether :-(

Two identical engines, one chipped one not chipped ... what costs more? Probe and stud activating a points motor vs accessory decoder ... what costs more?

DCC prices may well be coming down but it's never going to be on a par with DC ... but as I say that is not to do DCC down it does a lot of things that DC can't do and so forth.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

Neither of these two methods will work on my garden railway since the point motors are air operated.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Jane Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

Would it be appropriate then to comment that your railway is operated by a bag of wind? :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Probe and stud activating a points motor vs accessory decoder ... what costs more?

But in all fairness, I never suggested you use an accessory decoder to work your points? It's an extra feature if your pocket will go that deep, and judging by prices, I think many DCC'ers must be wearing old policemen trousers that had the very long pocket for the truncheon ! :-)

I think your kids would grasp it very well and quite quickly.... Who's better at programming the video (assuming the children are allowed to do this yet?) :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

In message , Chris Wilson writes

No it wouldn't.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Hey all,

At the moment my railway is one of those that comes out after the kid's have gone to bed sort. But the eldest intrest in thomas is comming on now. I want to get a baseboard and start doing things propley. I'm just comming to the end of my designing phase now, thinking about how my layout is to be wired up when built. At present my loco fleet is not all that big and this is the sole rason that I am looking at DCC now and I'm working on the basis start as you mean to go on. I have been looking at the gaugemaster dcc system and the lenz system and certain that at some point I will start using DCC. Recently I actually paid notice to a bachman advert and saw there DCC system what puzzles me is as to why there setup appears to be cheaper and eaiser to use. I'm new to this forum and your responce to my first post has been brillient. Much thanks for your help Guys and Girls. I think for now I will work on getting the design/baseboard setup and track laid down and then come back to the wiring/dcc issue.

Thanks for all your help.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Long

Jane Sullivan wrote in news:qECzNnNvTZNDFAb$@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

You coming to the exebition at Langley next month? I'll be there both days this time round.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote in news:dh3vvt$frc$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

No you didn't but it strikes me as only doing half a job if one aspect of your layout is dcc and one isn't.

That is one of the "great" things about dcc, flick a switch points change, signals show the correct aspect, conflicting movements are stopped and your route is set. Not just that, because after all this can be achieved with DC, but dozens upon dozens of of routes and movements can be set ... to do so on the same scale DC would require a diode matrix the size of coffee table or a very expensive black box stuffed full of ttl chips.

My kids learn programing from all sorts of places all the time ... school in ICT lessons, video games ... "if I do this ... then this happens", litle home buit robot (came on the front of a magazine in about a trillion editions - well it seemed so at the time) ... so the railway is the practical ...

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

I converted the operation of my locos to DCC but as all the pointwork on my layout was already working perfectly adequately using conventional DC it seemed a waste of time changing, so I didn't.

I'm very happy with this arrangement, and won't be changing it.

John

Reply to
John Turner

Another system to consider is Digitrax see

not so widely used in the UK but they do offer a relatively cheap entry level system main UK importer is
Chris

Reply to
Chris

In message , Chris Wilson writes

Mayhap

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

The Bachmann DCC is a much cut down Lenz system. It will control up to 10 loco's, 9 digital and one DC. It is very limited in the programming stakes. You cannot control points and signals. Having said that I bought one for my Grandson aged 7 and he got on famously with it. He is now 8 and has reached the level of his competence on the Bachmann and wants one like Grandpops (Christmas is coming). He also wants to control points and signals. As you upgrade the control system loco's can be controlled by any NMRA system so no modifications to your hardware is required. I run a Lenz compact (99 loco's & quite sophisticated programming capabilities). This is a Lenz entry system and unless you have oodles of loco's, umteen points and signals and for a home layout should keep you happy for a long time. If you are not sure about DCC then the Bachmann system is a very good way to find out if it is for you at a reasonable price. It also lets you test out your layout and get the hang of running more than one loco simultaneously on your tracks - not as easy as it looks :-).

Reply to
Chris Warcup

"Chris Warcup" wrote

It just doesn't make much sense I'm afraid other than as a train set tool. For not much more you can buy the Lenz Compact and have a really worthwhile set up.

John.

Reply to
John Turner