Ship Anchor Chain Mailbox Post

I always dreamed to have a mailbox made of welded ship anchor chain. I finally was able to obtain a good length (like 15ft) of real ship
anchor chain with huge links (6 or 8 inches, I forgot). Bought it for scrap price.
Here's a picture of the chain in a wooden box where I put it for now.
Anyway, what I was hoping to do is, take a steel plate for foundation, weld the chain to it in some cool shape, and weld a plate to mount a mailbox.
Here's a picture of the chain.
https://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Anchor-Chain-Mailbox/
There is nothing there for comparison, but this chain is huge and long, maybe 15 ft long.
Has anyone done anything of the sort. Thanks.
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 7:32:32 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus21537 wrote:

Wow! That's some chain... The USPS recommendation is 41-45 inches of height, so your metal will suffice for three or four supports. If it were mine, I'd consider stick-welding and a coat of paint (black, or cold-galvanize, would be appropriate). Then make a second, and a third... and sell the suckers.
Consider a pedestal of some sort that can be filled with rocks and cement (or there might be some theft potential...
Your description in the link mentions a 3' x 3' 1/2" plate for the base. The base mainly needs to keep it from tipping & depending on where the center of mass is, the tipping force may be minimal. E.g., if you made a coil on the ground with an arm reaching up, you wouldn't need a plate at all.
Hey ... make it look like a snake, with the mailbox being the head, a coil on the ground, and a tail reaching back. A couple of fierce eyes painted on the mailbox. That would be an attention getter.

That's a nice idea. But something has to be buried in the ground, or else the whole thing will be stolen by scrappers.
On Wed, 22 May 2019 21:32:25 -0500

No experience with this other than thinking the "frozen" chain was pretty cool looking since I was a child.
A quick image search comes up with quite a few examples though:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mailbox+chain+post&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
Somebody even used a chain much like yours here:
https://www.thespruce.com/thmb/UKbKJPl8jr2zjl00TpwOyvPmWEU=/400x500/filters:no_upscale ()/ships_chain_mailbox-56a582115f9b58b7d0dd3811.jpg
I rather like this one:
https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/18969-chain-mailbox-post/
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 5/23/2019 9:26 AM, Leon Fisk wrote: ...

Ummm ... that guy says that he has to abide by "...'break away' laws. If a car hits it, it has to be able to give". Does IL have such a law?
On Thu, 23 May 2019 09:40:50 -0400

It's a pretty common requirement and if I recall correctly Iggy has mentioned it before ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

It does and it is a good law. I have to make sure that the mailbox swings away if hit.

After having his mailbox destroyed by vandals one too many times a local gageteer had an epiphany. he mounted the mailbox on one end of a beam, pivoted on an old axle about 6 feet back and counterballanced with a weight 10 feet beyond that it had some sort of a "ranp latch" that held it in place, but when the box was displaced in a forward direction, it swung around,assisted by gravity and the ramp, putting the mailbax where the couterweight had been, and the counterweight through the back window of the offender's car.
Another guy made a cast concrete mailbox that looked like the real thing. Baseball bats just cracked and bounced - no damage to the box!

Love both of those. <g>
--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 10:32:32 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus21537 wrote:

I thought of doing the same, but my wife does not like the idea. I had the chain , but not as big as yours.
I would wrap the chain around something like a small metal drum to hold it for welding.
And would not anchor the chain too well. If someone skids on the snow, you do not want it injure the driver.
Dan
On Thu, 23 May 2019 06:41:19 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

Just the inertia of something that heavy would do more damage than hitting a 4 inch pipe burried 3 feet in the ground - - - -
On Wed, 22 May 2019 21:32:25 -0500
<snip>

When I saw your chain it reminded me of Andrew's Instagram post from a while back. Didn't feel like trying to find it again but he posted another one today :)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0KuxbF4Tz/
I think his links may be a little bit bigger.
Iggy, if you haven't already seen Andrew's stuff you might want to look around a bit. He's always searching for more and you come across the darnedest things too...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI