Ship Anchor Chain Mailbox Post

I always dreamed to have a mailbox made of welded ship anchor chain. I finally was able to obtain a good length (like 15ft) of real ship anchor chain with huge links (6 or 8 inches, I forgot). Bought it for scrap price.

Here's a picture of the chain in a wooden box where I put it for now.

Anyway, what I was hoping to do is, take a steel plate for foundation, weld the chain to it in some cool shape, and weld a plate to mount a mailbox.

Here's a picture of the chain.

There is nothing there for comparison, but this chain is huge and long, maybe 15 ft long.

Has anyone done anything of the sort. Thanks.

Reply to
Ignoramus21537

Your description in the link mentions a 3' x 3' 1/2" plate for the base. The base mainly needs to keep it from tipping & depending on where the center of mass is, the tipping force may be minimal. E.g., if you made a coil on the ground with an arm reaching up, you wouldn't need a plate at all.

Hey ... make it look like a snake, with the mailbox being the head, a coil on the ground, and a tail reaching back. A couple of fierce eyes painted on the mailbox. That would be an attention getter.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

No experience with this other than thinking the "frozen" chain was pretty cool looking since I was a child.

A quick image search comes up with quite a few examples though:

Somebody even used a chain much like yours here:

I rather like this one:

Leon Fisk

On 5/23/2019 9:26 AM, Leon Fisk wrote: ...

Ummm ... that guy says that he has to abide by "...'break away' laws. If a car hits it, it has to be able to give". Does IL have such a law?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It's a pretty common requirement and if I recall correctly Iggy has mentioned it before ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

When I saw your chain it reminded me of Andrew's Instagram post from a while back. Didn't feel like trying to find it again but he posted another one today :)

I think his links may be a little bit bigger.

Iggy, if you haven't already seen Andrew's stuff you might want to look around a bit. He's always searching for more and you come across the darnedest things too...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

That's a nice idea. But something has to be buried in the ground, or else the whole thing will be stolen by scrappers.

Reply to
Ignoramus26160

i SORT OF LIKE THIS:

I will probably retain the swingaway thing that I have on my mailbox.

Ignoramus26160

It does and it is a good law. I have to make sure that the mailbox swings away if hit.

Ignoramus26160

Reply to
Ignoramus26160