Welder died

switch and the overheat breaker , not much else to go wrong in their but the control board . I've also checked the cord for continuity . Today
while troubleshooting I plugged it in and turned it on , fan ran normally , all seemed well until I pulled the trigger . Then everything went dead again (it "died " a few days ago when I went to use it) . The last time I did use it it kept going on and off , but did run long enough to get the task done . I've priced the board , I'm just not sure I want to drop another 152 bucks into this unit . But OTOH I've got a lot of MIG wire for it , don't want to toss that either .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

A quick search didn't find me anything on the control board (schematic) just the block diagram which you probably have...
Just the basics. Check the solder connections for the heavier leads going to the control board and look over the board for bad/suspicious solder connections. It looks like both input power leads loop though the board, One goes through a relay. Some CAREFUL wiggling of those wires while powered may give some clues.
I usually eyeball stuff like that for things that don't look right but it is hard to describe what that would be...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 5/22/2019 2:52 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

decided to check that the cord was good , hooked the meter leads across the incoming power terminals . With the switch off , I got 125 volts , as soon as I power the welder up it drops to zero . Hey , great , it's the cord ! So I turn on the AC because it's gettin' warm out there and ... it's dead too !
Dammit , I need to get that new box installed ! I used an old one from our Memphis house that I replaced because a couple of the aluminum lugs were badly burned . When I built the shop money was a lot tighter than it is now so I used what I had on hand . Sadly , I've got a new bigger box sittin' here , just haven't installed it because I want to upgrade the supply line from the main box . As soon as I knock the honey-do list down a little it's going to happen .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

That sounds great! Beats working on the welder. This is a problem you KNOW how to fix ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 11:54:24 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
An image flashes into my mind, of a red tombstone for a deceased welder.
On 5/22/2019 3:32 PM, whit3rd wrote:

not dead . Anyway , it turned out to be a power panel problem , now I'm more motivated to get the new panel installed . Gotta be done soon anyway , the new "camperport" is next to the shop and I need a 30 amp circuit out there for it . All the usable breakers in this old panel are being used .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Glad you found the problem and it is not expensive to fix.
But if the problem was the control board, I would expect you could buy the control board for a Chinese mig welder and replace the control board with the Chinese one. The control board must do about the same thing.
Or maybe see if you can get the schematic for a Chinese control board and try trouble shooting using it for a guide.
Dan