Carriage Lock Screw Revisited

I've decided to go ahead and make a replacement screw with a sliding handle (like a vise handle), but also with a hex on top "just in case." This is a 14x40 lathe and there is plenty of clearance. Its not a giant, but its decent size and there is room to work on it.

I have on 1144 stressproof, 4140QT, and cold rolled on hand. I have no issue using the 1144 or the cold rolled, but I can't pick up 4140(QT TGP) at a reasonable price locally. I hate to "burn it up" so to speak on personal projects. Given the ease with which 1144 machines I am concerned about shearing off threads on an 1144 bolt, but I have no issue using it because I can just go get some more if I need it. The cold rolled is really to soft IMO for making bolts.

I know the 4140 is tough as heck, and would make the most durable bolt, but I hate to use it up if I don't have to.

(This isn't all I am doing, and its not "critical.")

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I find Tractor Supply a good source for one or five grade five or grade eight bolts when I want to "invent" something!

*******

There is a place called Copper State bolt a lot closer to me than Tractor Supply and on the fasteners they stock they are always better priced than places like Tractor Supply, Cal-Ranch, and Home Depot. Also better quality and better selection. Hate might not be too strong of a word for the Hillman crap you find in most of those chain places. On the other hand when I am trying to finish something on Saturday afternoon I've been known to go to Lowes for a handful of grossly over priced stainless, or yes "Yesh" Tractor Supply or Cal-Ranch for a three point pin or bushing.

Side Note: Cal-Ranch is kind of a pleasant surprise. Their website is total crap, but its quite the old fashion country hardware/general store. Guns in the back. Tools and hardware on one side, and clothing on the other... and its work clothing. Their fishing stuff is all kinda on the cheap side, but they have one. If you miss the old stores like Yellow Front, Fed-mart, or Fred's Corner Hardware they have done a decent job of capturing some of that for a chain store. They are bigger, have wider cleaner aisles, and a mix of decent and low end stuff, but the atmosphere is more pleasant and less institutional. And if I need a MIG welding tip on the weekend they have them. Not as cheap as 25 or 50 pack bags on Ebay, but about the same price as the store brand at your local welding supply store. The spray I use on my tractor came from them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe