shop press

Many of my queries over the last month have been on my spring 2012 project - a 30 ton shop press built entirely from scrap iron laying
around the place. I did buy the 30 ton enerpac cylinder and eight 3/4" by 12" grade eight bolts.
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/shop_press.jpg
Thanks for all the help.
Karl
On Thu, 24 May 2012 08:02:36 -0500, Karl Townsend

Looks very nice, Karl.
Nice clean shop, too. <G>
Pete Keillor
On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:54:51 -0500, Pete Keillor

Sorry about the shop, its normally not that way.
Karl

Looks great! I have a 20 ton H press frame for sale. (no jack).
rec.crafts.metalworking price is $100.

    Hmm ... potentially interested. Drop me an e-mail so I don't have to dig for yours. (Oh yes -- fix the spam-proofing in my e-mail above. Instructions in the .sig below, just in case your newsreader normally hides the .sig.)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Don,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message wrote:

Hmm ... potentially interested. Drop me an e-mail so I don't have to dig for yours. (Oh yes -- fix the spam-proofing in my e-mail above. Instructions in the .sig below, just in case your newsreader normally hides the .sig.)
Enjoy, DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Greetings Bob, I've been seeing your posts. At least I've a few in the last several days. Not much metalworking going on here though. But there has been some interesting stuff about rivets and knurls in the last few weeks, and of course the press mentioned below. Eric

    I've see other postings by you as well as this.
    And I've just composed a private e-mail to send to you in case you don't see this on the newsreader.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I see a cable in the picture. Are you putting in a winch to adjust the table height?
On Thu, 24 May 2012 19:20:37 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."

That's the die cart behind the press. I built the press to be transported from storage by the cart and also to change height of lower cross beams. very simple system that makes use of what was already on hand.
Karl

P.S. The die cart is painted orange and the table, unpainted, is part of the cart. It goes up/down with the cable and crank arangement. The press is painted black.

With that cart, you do not need the winch.

So did you have to cut down the dies your son scored for you?
Wes
On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:46:07 -0400, Wes

Oh my goodness, YES. He dropped them off today. I had no idea how complex a science press brake work can be. He explained everything that could be done with these for about an hour.
I can use maybe 10% of what I have. he rattled off a list of lengths to cut the top dies in to make it so you can stack together to get any length you want. I'll need him to repeat it but with the combo he had you can do anything from under 1 inch to 24" by 1/8" increments. I got to do this with all the dies (several radii and angle, plus gooseneck dies), He said they have a 4' high by 4' wide Lista cabinet full.
I'll need to make a head to clamp all the lengths together. Looks like a bit a rework here, my head isn't that good a start point.
He went on to talk about making several bull nose dies for custom work.
My spring project just became my summer project.
Karl
On Sun, 27 May 2012 18:08:03 -0500, Karl Townsend

I have built a few custom press tools to match the project - like the upper control arm bushings on the truck. Where the (blank) do you get that stuff pre-made?
Sometimes it isn't worth wasting a day devising and making the tooling, shagging down the steel stock and sawing and welding... Versus just buying the darned thing and it's done.

But now you can finally do that full rebuild on the old Apple Sorter/Packer machine that it needs, and tell those companies to Pound Sand for another decade or two.
Oh, what's ABOVE that shop area? The house? Office space?
Next project might be to drywall that ceiling and box in the PVC Drain plumbing to slow the fire down /just/ long enough for the Cavalry to arrive.
--<< Bruce >>--