sidearm burner

I built a "Sidearm" self-aspirated burner just for the hell of it. Might use it to melt some aluminum and/or brass, and for larger heating tasks. It was worth doing just to see and hear it work. It's a pretty impressive propane torch. It runs well at gas pressures from 5 to 30 PSI, probably higher once I get a choke made for it.

Don Foreman

Any ideas how much aluminium it will melt within a reasonable time?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Not yet. That would depend a lot on what sort of enclosure is used to contain the heat.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Any plans to test it? And to keep us updated?

Oh! ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

It seems to work OK with up to an .055 orifice (#54 drill). Once I get a choke made and make tongs and a pouring shank, I'll see how it does with a small (#3 or #6) crucible of aluminum surrounded by firebricks.

May take me a while, it being fishin' season and all, but I'll report my findings.

Reply to
Don Foreman

.....and you can also get a 30 second steak ! ! Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling