Calculating tensile forces in a spinning disc?

I'm building a disk, of uniform density, which will be spun at a constant RPM about a central axis (ie, a flywheel). It's actually a little more complicated by several short carbide rods inserted perpendicular to and towards the periphery of the disc surface (metal content), but for now I'll limit this to the disc itself.

Since it's been too long for me to remember (or be able to derive by myself) any calculus, does anyone have any handy dandy equations useful in determining the tensile forces in a spinning disc? I know the tensile strength rating of the material, and would like to be able to safely "rate" the spinning thing to be within a safe (70% or so) margin.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Simplified formulas are in Machinery's Handbook in the section on flywheels. Roark's has more in depth coverage. Mark's should have something as well.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Anything inserted through the disc, especialy near the rim, will constitute a 'stress raiser` as well as the obvious imballance and have a larger than expected effect. Any 'safe rotation speed` that you calculate by a general method will be far higher than the actual safe speed. Better to use 50%, - and even that may be too much . MadDog

Reply to
MadDogR75

Machinery's handbook will be conservative in it's recommendations, which is a good thing. Their formula has some good size safety factors built in.

If you need exact formulas let me know. They're fairly simple. I can scan them into a pdf file.

Bruce snipped-for-privacy@thinkerf.com

Reply to
lehmann