Silicon Bronze MIG Welding

I just stuck a spool of Silicon Bronze in my new Lincoln Power MIG

255C and am hoping someone might have some experience to answer a few questions. (My only experience with this type of filler material is via TIG welding.)

I have a 75 / 25 shielding gas cylinder, but it doesn't seem to matter if I have it open or closed when using the SB. There is a thin layer of "soot" coating the weld area after welding, which I simply wire brush off.

- Am I using the wrong shielding gas? - Does SB require shielding gas while MIG'ing? - Anything else I SHOULD know specifically about MIG and SB?

Thanks,

John P.

Reply to
John P.

It should be pure Ar.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

--Try posting to sci.engr.joining.welding

Reply to
steamer

Thanks for the tip. I just subscribed to that group. Looks like a good welding resource.

John P.

Reply to
John P.

Thanks Nick. I'll try it.

John P.

Reply to
John P.

When using silicon bronze in a MIG you need to use either pure argon or better an Argon/Helium mix gas.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler