Sizing a fuse for 1/3 hp motor

I want to add a fuse for overloading protection to the motor I use on the Gingery lathe . The motor came from a very old washing machine. It is Delco brand .The nameplate has this info:

HP=1/3 V=115 AMP=6.1 C.RISE=50 TYPE=CONT PH=1 RPM=1725 TYPE=CS CODE=J

Googling around yields tons of info on 3-phase motors but little of practical use on single-phase.

Thanks in advance

Camilo Ramos

Reply to
Camilo Ramos

Looks as if you want to try to fuse it for

6 amps (might blow under heavy load) 6.5 amps - should work well 7 amps - should still be okay
Reply to
DanG

It would be best for you to use what is called a "Dual Element" fuse, or commonly a "type D", and about a 10 Amp, although for just "short circuit protection" a 15 Amp will be fine. The 10 amp will be easy to find in a cartridge fuse in either size, but I think the lowest available in a screw in type (household fuse panel) will be the 15.

A 15 Amp circuit breaker in your household panel should also be OK.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

The correct dual-element(time delay) fuse is an 8 A for running overload protection. Bussmann FRN is one common brand/type. It would be sized at

125% of motor rated current (6.1 x 1.25 = 7.625) A 7.5 A fuse would provide a little tighter protection if you are worried it. See:

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian