440 3 Phase Motor Controller

have a controller that I want to hook up to a 3phase motor which is currently working without one. The problem I have is I bought the controller off of ebay without a manual and I know my motor has one wire that is 220 and two that are 110 with a ground to the motor. My controller has L1, L2, and L3 with corresponding T1, T2 and T3. My question is which of these is the 220 and which are the 110 as I do not

want to blow the controller out.

Thank you,

Rod

Reply to
rdurre

What does the motor name plate say?

Amps, Volts, Ph

your motor only has 3 wires plus a ground coming out of the cover? Are there more wires inside that may be bundled together?

you said the motor is now running with out a controller what kind of power supply do you have?

3 phase or Single 220?
Reply to
trike Mike

It currently is on 3 Phase 440 with the same 220 on one, and two with

110. It is directly wired through a fuse box to the electric circuit. I will check tomorrow on the motor plate and let you know.

Thanks for your reply,

Rod trike Mike wrote:

Reply to
rdurre

| It currently is on 3 Phase 440 with the same 220 on one, and two with | 110. It is directly wired through a fuse box to the electric circuit. | I will check tomorrow on the motor plate and let you know.

I assume you mean 120, 240, and 480 respectively (the standard voltages)

One big confusion here is just how your source of power is configured. You don't get 120 out of a 480 volt system without some kind of other transformer being involved.

Which type of 480 volt three phase power do you have:

  1. 480/277 wye/star, with neutral provided (4-wire)
  2. 480/277 wye/star, but the neutral is not provided (3-wire)
  3. 480 closed delta, corner grounded
  4. 480 open delta, common corner grounded
  5. Something totally bizarre

Where is the 240 volts coming from?

  1. It's own separate system
  2. A center tapped neutral on 480 delta (480/416/240)

Where is the 120 volts coming from?

  1. A center tap and 2 corners on a 240/208/120 delta system
  2. A single phase from a transformer separate from the 480
  3. A single phase from a transformer fed by the 480
  4. An autotransformer

Perhaps either the motor or the controller needs a 4-wire wye three phase system. If this is a wye/delta soft start controller, then it will need a wye source, and you will need to power the motor with 6 wires.

Either someone experienced with this needs to take a look, or you need to describe everything in excruciating detail (including where every wire goes to and comes from). You may also need to have a volt meter handy to check the voltage difference between every possible pairing of wires.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam