Slick tool for "chip in the eye" syndrome

Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench. This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx

2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have one of these handy.

And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Yea,those and similar mirrors work great. I got an "eye mirror" from american science and surplus for about 2 bucks. Front surface concave mirror that lets you see every nasty thing in your eye or those things growing on your nose you didn't know about. No shop should be without one. Saved me many a time when something felt like it was in my eye but couldn't be seen any other way.

Koz

J>Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it

Reply to
Koz

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

We normally try to help each other out with the chip or dirt in the eye gig. It feels a bit strange, but once you get past the gay issue, a guy helpin with a visor on can see alot better than you can. :)

Bing

Reply to
Bing

Or you could do what the old native american mother's did for their kids and lick the speck out of the other guy's eye :)

Koz

Reply to
Koz

I work in a place full of ophthalmologists but whenever I get something in my eye at work I prefer to remove it myself. I am the biggest wuss when it comes to letting anyone - no matter how qualified they are - poke around in my eye. My chief likes to roll your eyelids back and I hate that. I would make a very poor soldier.

However, if I may offer some completely unqualified advice...if you do get something really stuck in there it is best to have it taken out by a medical person because if you scratch the cornea ( the clear covering over your iris and pupil ) while it will heal up it never quite goes back to how it was originally.

Dean.

Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded

Reply to
Dean

What I use quite a bit is a book match. When you tear the match out the torn end has a bunch of little fuzzes on it. Usually all you have to do is touch the particle in your eye and it sticks to it.

Richard W.

Koz

B Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench. This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx

[...]

Larry Jaques wrote: (clip) (BTW, it's "Voilá!") ^^^^^^^^^^^ I think a viola bow is strung with horse hair. So, he meant that a viola could be used for eye first-aid.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Chew the fuzzy end to get it sticky with YOUR saliva and it easily grabs stuff out of your eye.

Reply to
nick hull

If you get a chip from steel or iron in your eye, a magnet will get them out real quick usually. Old boy who taught at the Community College said " all us young guys should have a magnet in our tool box for just such an occasion.

Michael no xx's in address

Reply to
Michael Cameron

Aack. There was a real eye doctor who posted here on occasion, I think he's passed out from angst.

FWIW the story about the Gerstner toolboxes is along those lines. The mirror is in the top lid for exactly this reason, that back in the old days the sanitary facilities in most shops were primitive at best, and if you needed to get something out of your eye the best way to see it was right at your toolbox, in that mirror. First surface IIRC.

It's not really there for combing yer hair.

Jim

jim rozen

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:24:49 GMT, "Leo Lichtman" pixelated:

OK, that resinates[sic] with me now.

------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------

REAL websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:51:26 GMT, Spehro Pefhany pixelated:

Oops, slip of the finner. Alt+0224, not 0225. I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)

------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------

REAL websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

High their:

This bit about 'viola' reminds me about some programming folklore that, AFAIK, is not documented anywhere, but deserves to be (in my opinion).

In the early days (BC - before compilers) an anonymous programmer cobbled together a huge, badly-designed, complicated, spaghetti-code assembly-language program, loaded with poorly nested loops and replete with illegal 'go-to's'. Finally, after many many interminable debugging sessions, he managed to get the wretched monstrosity to limp around. In triumph, he changed the last label in the program, renaming it 'voila'. But he was a poor speller, so he entered 'viola' instead. So, it became a tradition, in that shop, (and elsewhere)that the last label in an assembly-language program should always be 'viola'.

Mb-A

Reply to
Max ben-Aaron

I always try to protect my eyes so it was with considerable shock when I woke and looked in the mirror the other morning. About 50% of the white of my right eye was a mass of blood. My better half went off the edge when she saw it and for the life of me I could not understand how I had done this thing to my eye.

My doctor instantly put my mind at rest. She explained that it is not uncommon to rupture blood vessels in the eye. (sort of a stroke in the eye, if you will) Brought on normally by the strain of a cough or sneeze or in some cases by high blood pressure (etc)

Thankfully it left just about as quickly as it arrived with no adverse effects.

Bill D

Reply to
William G Darby

Back in the days when men were men, and women were glad of it, and machinists turned handles instead of pushing buttons, we had another way to deal with splinters. We'd haul out the ol' die grinder, and just grind away at wherever it hurt until the sparks stopped. A belt sander worked good too, if the appropriate body part was properly shaped for accessiblity.

It didn't always work perfectly, of course. I remember how mad nine-finger Newton got, the day he found out that aluminum splinters don't make sparks. Oh, well. Live and learn.

KG

J> Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

No, I'm still here and conscious, more or less.

Saliva in the eye isn't very high on the list of things that gross me out. There are many contact lens wearers who pop their lenses into their mouths for a quick cleaning or rehydration. Here's some free advice: don't do that. Use your dog's mouth instead, it's a lot cleaner than yours.

Reply to
Ted Bennett

Nope. The mirror would have to be 2" or somewhat less from the *tooth*.

Pretend you didn't read the above and go for it. :-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

You can tune the viewing-eye-to-mirror distance by changing the mirror-to-object distance. Same with a lens. Get one of the dental mirrors (they have other uses, too), and check out the behavior -- don't just speculate about it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've licked a few chips in my day.