slitting spring bronze

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:bMGdneS7RfCm5wfMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Got one! I made one of those a long time ago from a power hacksaw blade, for scoring plastics.

As far as parting it on the lathe, I have my cautions about that. Partly, I don't know how it turns, and partly I see 'snagging' occurring as it goes through the layers.

I think the general idea of scoring and snapping may be the safer one. I could even put some abrasive paper on a nicely rectangular block, and clean up the edge before removing the clamps.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA1C69FB13882Blloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Oh... and yeah... I already figured clamping on both sides of the cut might be a smart idea .

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

.010 How about masking it and then etching . A wood trough lined with plastic would work for something to etch it in. Look on the internet for etching solution. Muratic acid and peroxide is one solution you will find. Also vinegar , hydrogen peroxide and salt is another. Just do not do the etching near your tools.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Lazer or water jet

Not too many other choices

Reply to
Gunner Asch

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news:25adcaf7- snipped-for-privacy@h13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Woof! I've done 19"x19" PCBs in a home-made etching tray, but DAMN! 80 inches? I'm also thinking if I get any undercutting, it'll condemn the 'spring' after a few tens of thousands of flexes, and I need millions from this (another reason for the length vs. travel).

I've seen .002" copper under-cut (badly), so I suspect .010 might, too.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You can't use a flat, tinned copper braid for a ground strap?

I tin the ends and drill a hole through the now solid area. I use RMA flux, and clean it well but you can also crimp a lug on each end.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:D7adnabfTIZtBQfMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I could, but there's no means to support the length of braid as it uncoils. If it sags onto the fixed equipment, there will be a snag.

The ONLY reason we elected to go with the bronze is because in simple tests, it would self-support from just one end for a distance of about

6" from the support point.

If we had any means whatsoever to prevent the coil from sagging when it loosened, I'd be using stainless steel braid with crimped fixturing.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thin, half inch heat shrink or similar plastic tubing will keep it from snagging. A small spring can hold up the center. There are plenty of ways to do it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:mbOdnWiNMv2HMwfMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

You'd have to see the design, which I cannot show you. The spring is nix for problems of mounting and movement, and PVC in any form is not permitted.

Believe me when I say we explored that possibility at length.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Would a spring itself work instead of a flat piece?

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

BQ340 fired this volley in news:519aba11$0$9534 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

No, but again, we studied that. No way to meet the hazard requirements and also fit it into the available space.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Reading further down for the intended use, how about stainless shim stock? Comes in various thickness, in 1/2" wide rolls. Probably can even find blue temper spring steel in the same geometry.

Reply to
Steve Walker

How about the guts of a tape measure?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

19 by 19 is 361 square inches. 6 x 80 ils is 480 so not all that much bigger.  I'm also thinking if I get any undercutting, it'll condemn the

I would presume you etch from both sides , so it is as if it were only .005. But you are right. You might have to make the pieces a bit wider, rolll the piece up and sand the edges. One experiment would show you how much of a problem undercutting presents.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I don't have my familiar reference book at home to check, but books.google.com/books?isbn=0871707268 page 79 claims roll slitting will not distort the edge of hard bronze.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Is this the same spring bronze that is used as weatherstripping for wooden doors and windows?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news:f2783117- snipped-for-privacy@r3g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

nah... for other reasons given before.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

BQ340 fired this volley in news:519ac9f9$0$9480 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

Ok... have a roll slitter just sitting around (in 3/8" width roll-to-roll spacing)?

The mill that does the conversion doesn't, and they're a high-volume cutter.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:knehg8$cl0$1 @dont-email.me:

I don't know, but that's an interesting proposition. I wonder if it's available un-punched, and without a felt embedded in one edge?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA1C6D881DC057lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Checking, the narrowest it's commonly available is 1-1/8", and it's always pre-formed... I don't know if the bend would interfere or not, but the width would.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh