Bought a very interesting table

Actually a couple of them, here are some pictures. Called pneumatic assembyl tables.

I have not yet picked them up, but they seem to have a pneumatic function to pop up those balls to roll heavy items on the table, and then to retract those balls down for, say, welding or when you need the item to lay firmly in position.

If they are steel, I will keep one for sure to use as a welding table. They have lights and so on.

Ignoramus17710

Nice! I wonder how much weight they'll be able to handle.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks like they are at least 36" high. Will you be cutting the legs, to make them 30" tall?

Reply to
Existential Angst

I do not think that they are as tall as you say, but we'll see.

Ignoramus26793

Well, if they ARE 36", what will you do????

Reply to
Existential Angst

I would keep them as they are.

Ignoramus26793

Ignoramus26793 fired this volley in news:d4ednWviEeU1xQfMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yeah, if someone wanted one, they might also want it full-height. If they want it shorter, let them cut it down.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Which woulda been the common-sense approach to Ig's previous welding tables, but he INSISTED on 30" -- despite many good alternative suggestions. Mebbe Ig has a chiropractic side-bidniss??

Reply to
Existential Angst

My welding table has two levels, about 28" and 40". Small projects go on the high part which is adjustable... well, maybe you can guess the rest. But more likely you'll just make up some nonsense rather than admit that low tables are perfect for a lot of projects, and easy to add a block or whatever for smaller parts.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

whoyakidding's ghost fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My welding table is 33", and for my height, that's about optimum for anything I'd want to do standing up.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Well, just like you couldn't grok the *statistical nature* of the ill-design of the Volt, you apparently can't unnerstand the statistical nature of welding: What are the most LIKELY (or libel?? lol) uses of a typical welding table??

Dollars to donuts, for the avg shop use, 40"+ is far more useful. And no, adding height-raising blocks'n'shit to a low welding is NOT so straightforward, depending of course on the parts to be welded. Much easier to stand on a crate or sumpn for big stuff on a tall table.

Also, most TIGing, brazing, etc is better done on a tall table.

As was once explained on SEJW, the table should be at ELBOW height.

If you got both, fine. Speaking of multiples, how are your other eleven Volts coming along??

Reply to
Existential Angst

I end up doing lots of stuff on the floor because my table's too high. I might buy one of those elevating tables, even a small one would be handy. My existing table has storage underneath for short pieces and I wouldn't want to give that up, so I'd end up with two tables. I could probably stand the elevating one up against a wall to save space... if I had any room along the walls. :)

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

The statistical part of the Volt is EASY for objective minds: five year cost lower than comparable vehicles, as I've told you multiple times, and you continue to ignore.

There is no need to be limited to "statistics" when welding. Different projects require different setups, which when it comes to tables are cheap and easy.

It depends. Shocking, I know.

Apparently in your mind, the "average shop" is limited to one table height. I guess I'm above average!

LOL Your ability to rationalize never ceases to amaze me. I've stood on all sorts of crap and ladders while welding, but having to do that on account of being held hostage to table height dogma is a new one on me.

I do most of my TIG while sitting on a bar-height chair, with the work clamped to the adjustable high part of my table. I would NOT want the entire table to be that height.

No, the table should be at a suitable height for the project at hand.

Finally!

If I wanted another 11 Volts, I could write a check. That's reality, as opposed to the Angstmobile, which is exactly as stupid and as likely as the cull.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

That was only part of my point. And you can't even calc a legit ROI until a repair history is known. Plus most volts get relatively few miles put on them, which further skews the analysis.... I know, a bit over yer head, sorry.

No, it's your AQ (assaholic quotient) that'ss way above average.

The context here is some-time welding, not a dedicated welding shop. How much welding does the avg home shop or even machining job shop do? Not much, in my experience.

If you do LOTS of welding, well, then get/make an adjustable table. There were a number of suggestions to ig along those lines.... all of which he ig'd.

Again, it depends on how much welding is being done in a location. For most shops, people doing occasional welding, elbow height it highly ergonomic, from a variety of pov's -- the back, visual, manual dexterity, placement, etc. But it seems explaining the elbow-height table advantages to assholes is like tryna explain good pussy to a confirmed fagit..... perhaps an apt analogy here.

Fine. Again, for occasional welding most people will not want to go thru alladat. My welding table is 1/8 HR on 3/4" ply, braced on 2x4's in a blind alcove.... quick, cheap, simple. And 42" high. Serves many other functions, since I don't weld much anymore.

Statistics, statistics.... and context, context.... again....

Heh, the reality, as per jb's last article on the Volt, is that GM engineers are now leaning more toward the AngstMobile than Kidding's Ascot-fluttering-in-the-wind Planetary GearMobile. You still don't get it. Really, if you want anyone besides PlimpBoi to throw you a fish, yer gonna haveta study harder. arf arf clap clap

Reply to
Existential Angst

A WELDOR can add a couple of inches to a WELDING table.

Even an owner of a 2x6 wooden board could do the same.

Ignoramus26793

Nothing you've ever written is over the head of the average 12 year old. Your primary skill seems to be making stupid rationalizations.

You're obsessed with this table height thing. I have a home shop and an adjustable table. No big deal for me or anyone else.

No, even the most occasional welder can have an adjustable table, or an add on shelf or whatever. It's a simple thing except for somebody making up excuses.

There is no "alladat."

Good for you. That doesn't mean that most other tables need to be any particular height.

Something tells me you never did much welding if you think that an adjustable table is some kind of production shop thing.

The reality of you claiming that an adjustable welding table is a big deal is bloody funny considering that a couple weeks ago you were imagining how you could build an entire car and do a better job than GM or Toyota.

No, there has been talk of many different things, but there will never be an Angstmobile from GM or anyone else. But I don't expect that to prevent you pretending otherwise rather than working toward buying something.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

Exactly. Which reminds me of what I found strange about your table sales. Why would a welder pay to have a plate with four legs shipped? I'm amazed you could sell even one, but damned if you didn't prove that a market exists. Maybe you could expand on the concept. Sell cupcakes and cookies to bakers? :)

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

I lucked out on my all-purpose work table. I found a power height adjustable base unit at a surplus store for $50, apparently something had fallen on the switch and jammed it down, a few min of work freed the jammed actuator (1 of 2) and a new switch fixed the rest. I replaced the adjustable feet with a set of HD swivel locking casters for mobility and made a 4'x6' top of double 3/4" ply topped with a sheet of laminate I had on hand and some oak edging. After nearly a decade of use including TIG welding it has a few discolored spots in the oak edge and a couple burns in the laminate, but otherwise it's in great shape.

Reply to
Pete C.

You could have a remote point if you knew the fukn diff between rationale and rationalization. But since you don't.... think of yer difficulty with liable vs. libel... LOL!!!!! Yeah, NOW you know the diff, since you just googled it.... lol

Here's the simple deal for Welding PeaBrains:

Make a 28" table, and see a fukn chiropractor, and have shelving/risers up the ass, for all the shit for which you wish you had had a 42" table. Or have a 42" table, which for most people will suffice for 95%+ of their welding needs, and once in a blue moon stand on a crate for taller stuff.

Btw, you can weld goodly-sized stuff on a 42" table without much ado.

Elbow-height worktables in general is a distinctly superior ergonomic height.

Ahhhh, but for most run-of-the-mill welding, it should. You still don't understand statistics, and are libel to never understand statistics.

whatever....

Heh, GM apparently thinks they shoulda done a better job -- or spend $0.1 BIL, instead of $1-2 BIL -- along with the 300,000,000 Merkins not buying the volt, eh?? And god help GM when toyater/honder gets in the serieshybrid show.

Working toward buying what?? When I need a new car, I'll decide amongst the Leaf, the prius, or the second gen Volt -- or whatever. I don't really need to color-coordinate a driving outfit/gloves/ascot with my car, donchaknow....

Reply to
Existential Angst

I've been using my current table for about 15 years. I'm in my 60s and have never been to a chiropractor in my life. So you're full of shit as usual.

Sure, it will be perfect for the low spots and you can climb a ladder or whatever for the high spots. A lower table might eliminate the need for the climbing, and the low spots can be done sitting down. Whatever works best, no need to obsess that anything other than certain height is crazy, or to follow Ig around beating a dead horse.

The Volt that you obviously want but can't afford. Like a 10 year old boy who's sweet on a girl and shows it by holding a spider under her nose.

Whoyakidding? You'd buy a Volt right now if the dealer would sell you one with zero down and low enough payments. The irony is that you might be able to afford regular payments if you'd use your time productively instead of endlessly posting your crackpot ideas. Face it, you're going to post at least another dozen rants about table height, and probably another couple hundred on EVs. But you won't say one new thing, and other than avoiding work you'll accomplish nothing.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost