Checked Ebay..none found

Anyone have a decent one for sale?

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Depends on what you are willing to pay!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

A fair price. Its for a customer/friend, not for me.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

How accurate do you need it to be? The usual design of replaceable rods in a micrometer thimble in a T-base usually can't do any better than 0.001" -- there is no rigid mount for it. So, for most purposes, a digital or vernier caliper with the depth rod is quite adequate. (Of course, the 12" ones are not inexpensive anyway. though I lucked into a Mitutoyo 12" digital caliper for about $100.00 -- still sealed in the plastic wrap inside the wooden case. This was at least twenty years ago or so. :-)

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thats the type. I gave him some SS rod of the proper diameter to make up his own rods and even told him Id mic em for him to length..but he wants a factory made set.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Your friend may have almost everything he needs, depending what he is going to use it for. If he has a reasonable drop indicator, and some way to calibrate , he can use a t-base and an extension rod, both of which are commercially available or can be home made. if he doesn't have anyway to calibrate, what difference does it make? Use a yard stick.

If what ever he is measuring is wide, a home made wide t-base could be better.

some examples.

If you decide to make your own extensions [3/16 drill rod IIRC] the 4X48 thread is a right b***h to work with. One way around this is to drill and tap female on both ends and then locktite a long 4X48 set screw for the male end rather than attempting to turn the microscopic [for me] tit to thread. Also eliminates need for 4X48 die.

4X48 taps

long 4X48 set screws

let the group know what you find.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

$50 will get you a perfectly serviceable 12" digital caliper:

Perhaps not suitable for aerospace work, but it's been spot on with every check of a gauge block I've tried.

Reply to
Pete C.

Thanks I always wondered how gage blocks are checked....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Har, har. You know perfectly well the gauge blocks are the standard the calipers were checked against. For every gauge block I measured the size the calipers reported matched the spec of the gauge block exactly, which to me means that the calipers are plenty accurate for home shop use. And yes, I did the measurements at the proper ambient temperature with the gauge blocks normalized and minimizing handling of the blocks even though calipers don't go to that level of precision anyway.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sorry I just couldn't resist....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Now if it only had a notch on the internal measurement jaws on top, that darn wear ridge on the drums always gets in the way.

I need 13" or 333mm for the Truck. 330.2mm new, 332.5mm discard. Which doesn't seem to be a whole lot of meat, but that's Planned Obsolescence for you - If you get to turn them once, you're lucky.

Very-Near Calipers would be fine, all you need to know is whether to even bother hauling them in to be turned, or just order new ones and chuck the dead ones straight into the Iron Garden.

These get turned into Light Stand Bases when they go.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Have never seen such cataloged, usually there's a set of standard length rods sold, with or without a 1" depth mike, to cover that distance by inches. Or you could just get a long digital caliper with the depth gauge on it and call it good. If you have a really big hole to bridge, they also sell a depth gauge adapter for the caliper to bridge holes. I've never seen a classic-style mike with more than about 1 1/2" travel anyway and that had some specialty anvil and spindle. I've got a Mitutoyo solar-powered digital caliper that covers that distance, so I know those are made.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

I've got a set of digital brake calipers I got from HF, IIRC, was on sale for cheap. It's got various rods that attach to one jaw to extend the range. Alternative is the gadget I saw one guy using on a brake lathe at a machine shop, was just a vernier caliper made of stamped steel and with long jaws for internal measuring. I'm pretty sure the online tool suppliers had those for like $20-25. Which is about what I've paid for new drums. I don't bother having them turned anymore, they're so thin they're usually too badly warped or grooved to clean up. Go directly to new, do not pass Go. Same with rotors. Local shops nick you anywhere from $20-50 for drum and rotor turning, depending on what it is. Not worth it unless it's a collector's vehicle they don't have parts for.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Oh they are made....they make em up to about 40" in fact.

But buying the rods by themselves...Ill definately check into that!!

Thanks!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Have you considered Caliper tips? I have never used them, but suspect that the tips could be mounted such that they are pointing out.

Such as:

Part #20095A31

Caliper Tip Assortment

Attach these tips to your 4", 6", or 8" electronic, dial, or vernier caliper for the added versatility of measuring slots, inside pockets, shoulders, and holes. All are made of stainless steel. Assortment contains two tip bodies, four pairs of tips (flat, conical, stem, and ball end), set screws, hex key wrench, instructions, and case.

Reply to
StephenB