Soldering #8 copper wire

I am trying to make some wire sculptures with #8 copper wire but I cannot seem to get the solder to stick to the wire. What is the proper solder and soldering method to use?

Reply to
Pat

I am trying to make some wire sculptures with #8 copper wire but I cannot seem to get the solder to stick to the wire. What is the proper solder and soldering method to use?

Reply to
Pat

If the wire is plain copper, it should be easywith most solders and some flux. You may be using wire from a wound coil that's laquered. If so, you need to clean it thoroughly.

Reply to
John

Reply to
RoyJ

Two parallel wire will solder well, but if they cross the solder joint may be weak. You can use a fine wire to rope around, it will keep the parts steady and provide more surface for the solder.

MG

Reply to
MG

Sounds to me like you need to use more heat. Heat the joint first, apply solder, let it flow towards the area being heated. As others have suggested, a bigger soldering iron or hot butane flame. You can also braze copper with a brazing rod known as sil/phos. I like to use it on copper because it is strong and does not require flux. However it takes a lot more heat (almost red heat) to join the pieces. Sil/phos is also a closer color match to the copper.. Good luck.

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson

If the copper is clean - no plating on it - 400 grit sand paper does wonders.

Heat the work - you can had a puddle of solder on the iron to help heat - but melt the solder on the work when soldering - not on the iron. Work must be up to temp.

Very likely you don't have a large enough iron. I'd guess a 100 to 150 watt black beauty would be the proper iron. Small pencil ones won't have the heat storage ability to maintain the temperature.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Pat wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn