Line Boring on Lathe

To bore the frame of the 1/3 Galloway kit I got recently, I intend to attach a 1/2" aluminum plate to the top of my cross slide. The cross slide is flat and I figure I can drill and tap it in a carefully laid out square pattern outside the dovetail and between the gib screws. Then I can add tapped holes to the aluminum plate and clamp and shim the frame about .052" to center height. That will allow me to reposition the frame for boring the cylinder and boring the crank bearings.

I intend to use a boring head to be obtained (Yay, new tool!) for the cylinder sleeve recess (2.275" id x 1.750" deep) from the cylinder side, but I'm considering a boring bar between centers for the crank bearings. The problem is I'll have to bore to .812" final id, and the bar would have to be at least 10" long to traverse the frame. If I used the boring head to rough to 0.78" or so, would a 3/4" x 10" bar with a round hole for 3/16" round tool bit and say #8-32 setscrew hole be stiff enough?

Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

E. Walter Le Roy

Thanks, Walter. I'll go ahead and try it.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor