Soldering a tractor radiator

Pool supply for the acid.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Thanks for the additional advice. I now think I have a pretty good idea how to do this. I've bought a suitable flux brush, some small wire brushes for cleaning and I've got a stack of rags ready to moisten for protecting the radiator.

Unfortunately I've had some things crop up which mean I'll be unable to do it this weekend. It'll probably be next weekend now, but I'll certainly get back to you to let you know the outcome.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Greetings Chris, A flux brush is typically, in my experience, what is known as an "acid brush". These brushes are some type of animal hair. They work well but if used to spread hot flux or solder can burn. This can lead to a contaminated surface. That said, I still use them to spread solder over an area when tinning. I flux the area, heat it until it will melt solder, apply the solder, and then use the brush to sort of paint a large fluxed area with solder. Once the area has cooled enough for the solder to solidify I wipe off the flux with the burned hair particles and apply new flux with a new brush. Now I have a tinned area that is very easy to solder. Eric, aka ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I use a damp rag to wipe the "tin"

Reply to