Somewhat related to metalworking

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:43:51 -0500, Ignoramus22049


Does it count when I know generally which pile its in?
--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/16/2013 12:12 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Hell YES!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Sort of. If you have time to unearth it, then it counts. If not ..., not. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 23:09:50 -0700, pyotr filipivich

What if you have to turn earth (dig) to find it - literally?
--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Um, maybe then - where did you say you had it piled?
    Reminds me of the person who tried to sweep out the cabin - with a dirt floor. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 18:38:04 -0500, Ignoramus22049

We should coordinate, write a new book, and call it:
_The Organized Hoarder_.
It could be on shelves soon and would certainly be a best seller!
--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    [snippage]

    I'm not hoarding. I'm stockpiling or salvaging. "I keep supplies on hand. You stockpile. They hoard."     Besides, never know when you might need on of them, whatever they are. Or could re-purpose that collection of widgets. Hmm, maybe if I grab a hack saw, I can not only cut those window frames loose, but salvage the glass as well... Then I could use them and some of the boards to make a cold frame for the garden.
    I was late to class Monday because just down from where I parked, were three screens. Very nice screen, wooden frames, well made, about two foot by a foot and a half. Just sitting beside the garbage can. "Who knows".
-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Because the customer demands it. Logical reasons would include a situation whree they are drilling out a container filled with hydrogen gas and the "pneumatic" part of it is run on an inert gas, etc.
All types of other examples abound. ...Most of which are based on the customer's preferences and not necessarily mine.
--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


I considered explosion proof environment as a possible reason. See my other reply. Mechanical ball valves are cheap (relatively) so simply installing a valve to shut off all air to each spindle and quill as described in my other reply is easy enough.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/8/2013 5:06 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Reduced noise for one. Also, the cost savings on the air might just add up.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/8/2013 5:01 PM, Joe "Dufu" wrote:

Time delay pneumatic relays, I'm not sure exactly what you call them. We use them on certain machine resets to activate two cylinders at different times on the same circuit. they will turn off a circuit after a preset delay too. I assume the time of the cycle doesn't vary much so the drills stop on the up-stroke.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
    [ ... ]

    Dashpots.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: < snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com> | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

We call them pneumatic timers and reverse timers.
Standard waits anywhere from nil to X before it sends air through and reverse sends air anywhere from nil to X.
--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Are those the same as they had on '50s and '60s auto carburetors? (That word brought back some deep old memories.)
Are the valved mechanisms which slow metal bandsaws during cutting called dashpots, too? Or is there another name for those?
--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 07:17:59 -0700, Larry Jaques

The items on the bandsaws are usually called "feed controls" in my indutry. The #1 manufacturer being Deschner and their prodict is amazingly well made.
However, Band saws usually use a much less precise and durable item because it's just not that critical in that scenario.
The deschner product I use can handle up to 1200 lbs. of thrust if I remember correctly. ...Not exactly something a band saw would normally see.
http://deschner.com/
If you call them for any reason, please tell them Joe from AutoDrill sent you. I won't get anything out of it other than a cute conversation the next time I call them.
--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

    Depends on the carb, I suspect. The SU carbs for my MGA had dashpots to control how rapidly the venturi throat opened. It allowed it to close quite rapidly.

    I don't know at all for that. The only bandsaws which I have experience with either have only step belt speed changes (the infamous "$200.00 horizontal/vertical bandsaw" sometimes sold for a lot less, and the three-wheel Emco one which I have), or the DoAll which we had at work with a variable speed pulley assembly, plus a gearbox to give a high range or a slow range. No dashpots involved in any of those as far as I know.
    Mostly -- a dashpot is a cylinder with a very close fitting piston (often glass cylinder and graphite piston) with an adjustable needle valve to control how rapidly it could move. Could have an oil, or air as the medium. Then it is up to who put it in what as to whether it controls valves, limit switches, or whatever else. I could even imagine them being used in some record turntables to avoid rapidly dropping the stylus (needle) onto the record, possibly damaging both.) I've seen at least one model of turntable which has an arc support bar, and a lever which starts it lowering slowly, or lifts it to a safe height and keeps it there.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: < snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com> | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 05:06:14 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Not sure what you guys are talking about, but a buddy of mine describe a simple slow feed for has bandsaw as an aluminum cylinder and piston with an adjustable bleed valve. He said lots of guys were making them so the full weight of the head wasn't resting on the blade as it fed into the cut. Not sure I got it all, because I haven't seen it, but...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Joe, Did you ever tell us how you did it? If you did I missed it.
--
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

KUDOS!!! I was waiting for someone to ask... You win absoltuely nothing except the explanation below and the link below that. :)
Rather than try to explain the whole set-up in text format, I offer the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QQ5NEUQ-s

--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 08:36:24 -0400, "Joe \"Dufu\""

Hey Joe, GOOD STUFF. Both the work and the video.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.