Source for 3/8 x 26 tap?

3/8 x 26 is one of the BSB (British Standard Brass) series. These come in the usual diameters from 1/8" to 1.0" and all use the same 26 TPI Whitworth form thread. They're a routine stock item in UK and almost any ME stockist can supply.

do mail order and are pretty reliable.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Needed to adapt some wingnuts to a SA front axle. The local machine-shop-supply says it's special order and at a price that makes boutique bicycle parts look reasonable. Loose Screws doesn't seem to have it. Neither do any of the LBS's - even the really REALLY good one that's been here for 50 years.

Reply to
jtaylor

sounds like british cycle thread.British motorcyle place, maybe metric supply place, don't remmeber if metric screw and tool in wakefield mass carries those, seem to remember they had BA so cycle isn't that wierd

Reply to
yourname

oh, and are you sure it isn't a special metric? 10mmx1.0 would be very close...or is my math wrong.....

Reply to
yourname

There's a 9.5mm x 26 tpi thread used by some cycles that's supposed to be close, but I kinda thought that the 3/8 x 26 would be a little easier to find...

Reply to
jtaylor

Did you check McMaster and MSC? I recently went through an excercise looking for strange taps and all and they had some I never imagined... But I don't specifically remember that size - or any other size for that matter.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

Joe AutoDrill

Are you sure about the threadcount at 26? Since McMaster and MSC list 3/8-24 and 3/8-27 but not 3/8-26 I would think that you're going to need a special order one, and yes that spells expensive.

I have to ask what a "SA" is.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Reply to
David Billington

Joe Just found out that 3/8-26 is a British Standard Cycle thread

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Careful there are BSB and BSC threads one is 60 degree angle the other 55 degree.

They also list BSW (Whitworth) seperately, but do say that it is a 55 degree. TPI is 16 vs 26 for the ones above.
Lane

Reply to
Lane

That is an EXCELLENT lead; thanks very much.

Reply to
jtaylor

KBC tools has them in their online cat on page 191 for $9.04 You would have to call to check on availability but I found they usually have on in stock somewhere in the country.

machineman

Travers tool has one for US $9:

They have an online ordering system.

I have gotten some really weird taps from Travers before, like 5/8"-27 for instance.

Chalo Colina

Reply to
chalo colina