Speaking of submarines (was: P-38)

--Years ago someone built a fairly over-engineered contraption that looked a little like a cross between a P-38 and a trimaran. Crew cockpit in the center connected to two outer hulls where propulsors were located. The clever bit was that the connections were via arms that could be raised and lowered hydraulically, so that while transiting from dock to sea the cockpit was raised above the waves, but once it arrived at an interesting bit of sea it could be lowered *below* the waves, using the outer hulls as floatation. --Anyone recall any more details about this thing? Seems to me it's a design just aching for a bit of JW-style bodging... :-)

Reply to
steamer

AquaSub:

David

Reply to
David Courtney

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:35:04 GMT, "AL A." pixelated:

Does anyone else find it ironic that a desert dweller is selling submarine plans?

Having lived there for a year, I know that Phoenix is smack dab in the middle of Fort Stinkin' Desert.

That said, it looks like a fun project.

- Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount! -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not entirely. Had a roommate years ago who was building a 36 foot sailboat. He was from Yuma.

Pete Brooks

Reply to
pete brooks

Ive got two sailboats in my yard, and used to do a lot of fiberglass repair to sailboats and surfboards. Im about a 100 miles from Death Valley

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner