spiral reamer chatter

Other than slowing down, are there some tricks to reducing reamer chatter?

I got some truly beautiful rifle patterns in Al with a 1/4" spiral reamer. I had no problems with it the last time I used it.

The reamers I have seem a bit long for use with a sherline lathe at about

6" or so.

Would it be better to cut the shanks down in length or support them with a steady rest to keep them from vibrating?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Reduce your rpm, leave sufficient pre-ream material, and also make sure that the reamer is on dead center.

Chamfering the hole prior to reaming will go a long ways towards getting the reamer off to a straight start and eliminating the tendency for it to wobble upon entry...

For alloy 6061, and a 1/4in four flute reamer, ME consultant comes up with 2292 rpm and 43 IPM which is probably a lot faster than you can possibly crank the tailstock in by hand.

My experience has been is that a spiral flute reamer really does not cut much different than a straight flute except for chip evacuation and perhaps better bridging cross-drilled-holes in certain scenarios.

Cut too short in softer materials they become a boring tool instead.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Cutting them down in length may help, but most times a faster speed or a higher feed rate will also make it work w/out chatter.

The amount or material you are removing will matter too, maybe try a bigger or smaller hole, depending on how much material you are removing now.

You did not say if you are using cutting fluid or not, that would help, too.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340