Spotting scopes redux

I did a simple test with my Burris Landmark 15x - 45x spotting scope today. The target was lettering on a neighbor's boatlift at a paced-off distance of 100 yards plus.

I could easily (no strain at all) make out letters that are .300 high with .078" strokes -- as in the width of an I or the stem of a T. I could read with "eye test" facility (read the smallest line you can see) characters that were .187 high with .045" strokes. I could easily discern individual blades of grass at the shore end of the dock.

I would think that it would be very easy with this

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks Don for posting that. I've been thinking about spotting scopes because I shoot .22 for sport and for longer range I really need a scope that I can see exactly where the bullet hole is. I have my own firing range (well, 10 acres of woods really, with a naturally clear alley) and want to improve it with a shooting bench and maybe a target holder on a rope so I can change the target distance. I won't be using the target holder if I shoot at 100 yards though. That sure would require a lot of rope. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

No scope needed if you make a plinking target like I did for Karen's dad:

He's shot hundreds of rounds at it and it still looks basically like that. The target is cut from 3/16" A26 plate, and everything else is just mild steel scrap. The backplate is 1/8" thick, and angled to deflect everything down. If you hit something, it swings so you can see where you hit. Not good for 1/8" resolution, though ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

SNIP ALL

Hey Don,

What does "redux" mean?? I know a "redoubt" is an outlying fortification, but I've never seen the term redux.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Ignoramus14408

"Revisited". The term may have come into more common usage with John Updyke's novel "Rabbit Redux", which was a sequel to "Rabbit Run".

Reply to
Don Foreman

Now *that*'s cute! You could sell those and make some money!!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Redux on Redux. I have a 15 to 45 X Simmons spotting scope. Its normal use is for .22 RF at 50 yards, where it is set for around 25X. I mostly practice at 50 yards, trying to shoot 1/4 inch groups. Occasionally, I will slew the little Simmons over and see what the boys are doing at 100 yards. No problem, at all, reading their 30 cal. holes. Cheap spotting scopes like mine have plastic lenses, which are great with only a small reduction in transmission. The more expensive ones have glass lenses - a little better, but a whole lot more money. I shoot with a vari-power Leupold scope. Glass, of course, marvelous optic; beautiful scope. I am considering getting another scope; pretty sure it will be a Simmons, single power, around 20X. It won't be quite as rugged as a Leupold but more than sufficient for bench rest shooting. Think I'll save the Leupold for a quality air rifle for back yard practice.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Take a hard look at these, before buying a Simmons.

btw..this is a decent scope of its type....

I hope that Leupold you have, isnt going on a spring gun.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

These tasco 3-9x40 scopes are very good.

Ignoramus14408

Yup. Scopes for spring air guns must be made for that service. I have been well satisfied with the Tasco on my RWS Diana model 34.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanx, Gunner. Those Tascos look good. I am leaning toward a single power scope though for .22 RF target use at 50 yards. Do you have a recommendation, or anyone have a preference for any specific power? I'm thinking something around 20 X would be about right.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Not to worry, Don. The Leupold I have is designed for spring guns (Vari-X

3-9x33mm EFR Compact). I chose it with that feature originally, thinking I might someday relegate it to a spring gun for backyard shooting. I've got a pile of 2 x 6's waiting for me design a fold-up bench.
Reply to
Robert Swinney

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:23:04 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus14408 quickly quoth:

I wonder how they differ from the 3-9x40 Tascos I saw in WalMart at $39.99 last week. Reticle only, I wonder?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Probably.

I was at a gun range just yesterday (after a 2 year hiatus) and a

3-9x40 walmart scope performed quite well. i
Reply to
Ignoramus14408

At this point..the big question is..what is your price range? Once you get up over 10x...the price goes up with the magnification..faster actually. Also..reticle?

Im still shooting an ole Unertal 20x on my Anschutz 54 match rifle, the Weaver 18x went on the Rem 40X

My long range personel interdiction rifles have fixed 10x for the most part. Weavers and Leopolds. For this kind of work..a fixed power scope has advantages that a variable does not.

The varminters have a mix..Bushell, Lyman , and Nikon.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner sez: "> Im still shooting an ole Unertal 20x on my Anschutz 54 match rifle,

So, is this a recommendation for a single power scope of around 20 - 22 X for .22 RF work? I shoot "bench" with a Hart rest and a leather shot bag for the butt stock.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Bob..there are many many good scopes available today that are far better than the old Unertals. Clearer, brighter. But they cost dearly. As do the Unertals btw. If you shoot bench, then the size and weight is not a factor and likely neither is brightness, assuming its reasonable.

However..the Unertals etc are what I have..so I run what I brung, and really have found no good reason to spend mega bucks on new hip slick and cool optics. They have taken home the tropheys for me for years.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner, my question was more about the magnification factor you'd recommend for .22 RF off the bench. What is your best guess, 20 - 22 X? I want the opinion of someone that used has some of the high-X scopes for bench shooting. I fully realize they would be almost useless for hunting, but my quarry is only a sub-1/4 group at 50 yards.

Reply to
Robert Swinney