Question on Bussman Fuses BAF2 and FNM2

I blew the fuse on my Powermatic lathe today when I miswired a component in the circuit. The original fuse was probably as old as the lathe which is about 30 years old. It was a Bussman BAF2. When it blew all of the "real" electric stores were closed for the day and will not ope until Monday. I found Bussman FNM2 which is the same size but it is not an instant blow like the BAF2. The FNM2 is a time delay fuse and Bussman's catalog said it was for inductive circuits. The BAF2 states that it is for non-inductive circuits. This fuse protects the coil on the lathe.

Any thoughts on temporarily using this fuse until Monday?

I have corrected the wiring error and everything should be OK but what will happen to the coil if this is not a "quick blow" and there is a short or fault?

Thanks for any help. -Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

As long as the 2A rating is correct, I'd leave the FNM in and not worry about it. The BAF was probably used because they're cheaper than time delay fuses.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

You haven't had a fuse quandary until you try and ascertain what gauge wire you will use to bypass the fuse to get a job done.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ha, correct.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I well remember one dark night in Viet Nam when I discovered that the top three inches of a center tent pole for a gp medium when hack sawed off would work as a replacement for a FRN of any amperage. No problem, no quandry!

George Vigneron

Reply to
George

One of the local electrical houses has a plaque with various items marked as fuse replacements, and their amp ratings

empty 22lr cartridge was rated at 50 amps

16penny nail was rated at 100 amps etc etc etc..

Funny as hell

Gunner, who has wrapped a burned out automotive fuse with cigarette foil to make it home.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Well, wherever the fault is will be ez to diagnose, it will be the burned up parts.

You could go to your local radio shack and get a 2 amp fast blow glass fuse and one of those inline fuse holders and put that in. If you didn't fix your initial problem, you will be happier.

Wes

Reply to
clutch
[ ... ]

So -- what is the rating for a still loaded .22LR? It would probably cook off at some lower current than the empty could handle. I guess that it could count as a slow-blow in that mode. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I can honestly state that a 9vt battery pack for an old Sunpack flash will set one off.

But it has to be in the pocket of a brand new down filled parka.

Sigh....

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:14:56 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

ROTFL! So, how much of an explosion did you feel, or did it just pop and set the jacket on fire as you scrambled out of it?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What's the rating for a loaded 22lr ?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Pretty good POP and a snow storm of feathers. Happened while I was standing talking to my kids princible in the lobby of the school theater.

It was...interesting.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Mythbusters tried that - to get a .22 LR shell to go off reliably you need more than just the roughly 20 amp headlight load. You need a short circuit across the fuse holder, a good 100A or more, and the shell will fire like you pulled the trigger...

But then again, if you blew the fuse in the first place, you might have a short in the wiring harness that will ground out again with the rifle shell subbing for the last blown fuse...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

thats for a fast fire. Try it at home with a powersupply and do some timing of cook offs.