Spring winding advice

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Its not the diameter, its the music wire. This is hardened, which causes this exact problem. it makes great springs, but is HELL to make a permanent bend in. Ever re-string a guitar? Getting the wire to take a bend on the tuning pegs is a real challenge, and trying to not get the wire poked all the way through your finger.
I think you will have to experiment, but you can wind the wire around drill bit shanks to find the magic size that results in the desired relaxed coil diameter.
Jon
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:57:02 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:>I need to wind a couple of large-diameter, fine wire springs. (light

Years ago a place I worked made some springs for some project or another. The Shop Foreman, who seemed to know what he was doing, had us build a gizmo, that fitted in the tool post and tensioned the wire as it wound onto the arbor. It has been a long time but I seem to remember that the arbor was basically the approximate desired inside diameter of the spring and the turns per inch was governed by the carriage, driven by the lead screw.
I also seem to remember that tension on the wire was the critical point in the whole operation.
Cheers,
John D. Slocomb (jdslocombatgmail)

Think relative diameter of the wire and the arbor.
I'm working with 13-thou wire to finish out to a 5/8" o.d. spring.
The rules for "thick wire" don't hold.
But the problem's solved.
LLoyd
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:57:02 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:>I need to wind a couple of large-diameter, fine wire springs. (light

Depending on where you are, I might be able to help....I have a spring winder sitting on a bench at work....if you have the wire and can get to southern wisconsin, I suspect we could get you a spring wound.
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@iname.com fired this volley in

Thanks... got it wound.
I cobbled up a winder very similar to the old manual Porter bench mounted ones. The problem was in the determination of arbor size. That fine wire didn't take a set unless it was wound on an arbor MUCH smaller than the finished size.
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

LLoyd,
I've not had a look at any for some years but the dimensions you give remind me of the piston spring in SU carbs. Maybe you want to give these guys an email and see if they can provide any information http://www.sucarb.co.uk/ .