Stainless Grade Equivalents

With stainless, you can have corrosion resistance or you can have strength, just depends on what you really need. And if you need decorative with strength, look for chrome or nickel plate on a regular steel bolt. If you really need corrosion resistance with strength and a real properties sheet, you'll probably end up with aircraft-grade bolts from a real aircraft hardware supplier and also a government-level price tag. They'll probably have ground threads, too, along with more exotic alloying elements. If you gotta have them, that's one place to look. Hardware store stainless is just to plug holes and not rust in a year or two. Also to look hi-tech and shiny.

Re "18-8": That's a very old term for stainless, usually plastered on tableware and kitchen utensils. Not hardenable and about the lowest level of strength. Also non-magnetic. If you're fixing pots and pans, that would be fine. Going to hang off of it 20 stories up, not so great. Not a designation for any sort of mechanical properties.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I'm afraid I'd have to agree, but you may not enjoy success buying such a critter. However, if one chooses to make high strength stainless hardware, you might consider exploring 17-4 PH, as well as 416 stainless. Each is heat treatable. 416 is a sheer pleasure to machine, and capable of achieving a Rockwell C hardness of 35. 17-4 PH can be considered a stainless replacement for chrome moly (4140), and capable of achieving a tensile strength of up to 200,000 psi, and a hardness of 44 Rc.

There are other options, including A286.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Hmmm. I can't recall the grade of stainless we used in cell tooling, but that sounds kind of familiar. Anybody know a SS that handles 700 C without losing too much strength? We used it to make all sorts of tools for working in a very large experimental electrolytic cell.

I remember operating a clamshell bucket about 2' across, mounted on a

4" dia. piece of stainless. The clamshells had connecting rods to a sliding collar which was actuated with other rods to pneumatic cylinders 5 or six feet higher attached to the lifting bracket bolted to the central shaft. The whole thing was suspended from the smaller bridge crane in the building.

We'd remove a 6' on a side hatch over the sludge chamber, lower that tool in after suitable heatup, flip a switch for the air solenoid on the crane pendant, then raise the closed clamshell full of sludge and molten salt and dump through a hatch into a sludge cart on rails below. It was something to see at night, although certainly no steel mill.

Made lots of other tools out of the stuff, too. Most stainless loses a lot of strength at that temp.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Monster Bolts has a great Metric Bolt Grade Markings and steel strength chart that quickly and easily shows the differences between stainless and alloy steel materials. Of note, there are different A2 variations. Both A2-70 and A2-80 may be called A2, but A2-70 (700 Mpa) and A2-80 (800 Mpa) vary by almost 15% in absolute strength.

Jeff

there is a great Metric Bolt Grade Markings and steel strength chart that shows the differences between stainless and alloy steel materials.