stainless steel

What designates stainless as food grade?

Reply to
kklein

With a former employer, I have seen 300-series and 400-series stainless steel alloys both used in food grade applications. Also the company used several aluminum alloys and hot-dip-tin-coated cast iron.

More critical than the actual alloy was that the stainless steel did not have porosity. Some part designs were cast and the main thing we tried to acheive was lack of porosity which could trap food particles and cause bacteria formation. I suppose this was also important in welded parts but I worked in the foundry.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Probably an ASTM spec. FWIW, 304 and 316 are most used, AFAIK.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Some grades are acceptable ONLY for milk products, also. 304, I believe, but don't quote me unless I guessed right.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

304 can discolor with some cleaners. A lot of what constitutes sanitary has to do with fabrication, polishing, gasket compounds, and on and on. Here's a site you can look over, although like a lot of standards outfits, it's pretty bad. Try the FAQ's, plus the Links page has links to the FDA and US Dept. of Agriculture.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

what would be a food grade aluminum for use in a mustard dispenser?

Reply to
williamhenry

something very non-reactive like 1100.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I don't know of one specifically for this application.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Reply to