Stainless steel tube bending

Hello,

I am looking for any information (techniques or tools) for bending hypodermic stainless steel tubing. This is fairly thin tubing with the following characteristics:

Type 316 stainless

2.11mm OD (0.072") 0.0100" wall thickness ID: 1.6mm

We need to have 90 degree bends, but with a radius that will be safe enough so the material does not crinkle or rip.

With this information, what tool or techniques are available? I have heard that one could fit a wire inside the stainless steel tube to provide support while bending. Or use some melted Delrin to offer support.

Thanks for any help. Mike McWhinney

Reply to
eljainc

Cerrobend is a low melting point alloy (158 °F) which is formulated to making thin wall tube bending easy. It would seem to be fairly easy to fill your bulk tubing with molten metal by suction and allow to cool. Then cut to length and bend as required. To remove the filler metal, simply immerse in boiling water and pour out the metal. The filler will not stick to the tubing and is reusable as long as it is not damaged by overheating.

Randal

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Stainless*) bends *very* good, as long as it is annealed (in an protective atmosphere). Cerrobend should do the job. But I'm a fan of mandrel benders.

Here, it is called 1.4203. Good for bending, others are even better. R = 2.5 D is doable.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Confused the numbers. It is 1.4301